• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Part to attach to Pendulum for German mantle clock

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
Hello All,
I recently bought a German mantle clock and when it arrived it was missing a critical piece of the attachment to hang the pendulum. Alas! The seller can not find the part. Can anyone help me firstly with what the part would be called and where may I find a replacement? If I knew what I was looking for I can call Timesavers or Merritts.
Thanks for any help...
I am attaching a photo of the missing piece.

Attachments

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
I think the 14 indicates a 14cm length pendulum. I can't tell for sure, but I don't see anything missing.

Unless you mean the rating assembly, with hook, is missing from the pendulum.

Last edited:

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
Randy,
Thanks for your reply. The thing you see hanging in the picture is not present. The horseshoe shaped hanger. I have no way to attach anything to the pendulum. I'm sure I am missing something...the rating assembly would go through the crutch?
If I had the "horseshoe" shaped item I could attach the pendulum? Maybe I am not making any sense??

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Randy,
Thanks for your reply. The thing you see hanging in the picture is not present. The horseshoe shaped hanger. I have no way to attach anything to the pendulum. I'm sure I am missing something...the rating assembly would go through the crutch?
If I had the "horseshoe" shaped item I could attach the pendulum? Maybe I am not making any sense??
The horseshoe shaped hanger is the end of the LEADER, which hangs from the suspension spring. There is usually a forked foot on the CRUTCH, which is attached to the escapement, that straddles the leader. Sometimes a leader which can be made to work can be found from usual suppliers. Or one can be made by hand from a piece of brass stock.

The rating assembly on a short pendulum like this clock would use is just a piece of brass stock which goes through the pendulum bob, with threads and an adjusting nut on the bottom, and a hook on the top, which hooks to the leader.

- - - Updated - - -

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
A picture of the pendulum end you have would help.
Also, a picture of the back with the hammer lifted
out of the way a little would be good. It should include
from the suspension post to the end of the leader.
I suspect that the end of the pendulum would have
a T shaped end, rather than a hook, but it is not clear
from the picture we have so far.
Tinker Dwight

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
20150403_221329.jpg Tinker,
Thanks for your reply. This is a picture which I should have rotated for better viewing.
This is what the inside of the clock looks like now and is all that I have to work with.
I just do not know what I need to get this clock running.
best,
Jay

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
This clock is missing the entire leader. I'm not sure the pendulum
you have is right for this clock either.
The hammer is in the wrong position. It should hit the
gong about 3/4 inch from the mount on the straight section.
Was the other picture from another clock?
Tinker Dwight

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
Tinker,
Thanks for your reply. The hammer is fine and strikes the gong correctly; however I agree about the pendulum. I just need to know where and what I need to purchase to get this clock to run? I have seen some leaders on Timesavers and other sites...just not sure what I need?
regards,
Jay

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
This is a picture of the clock from the seller . Everything is missing. Perhaps someone can tell me what I need to buy and where I can find the leader etc.
Full shot of clock.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
agreed,You should ask the seller where he left it.With the leader present like in Your last pic,the clock should work with that short pendulum.
Burkhard

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
Thanks Guys,
Yes it would be nice to get the leader etc as shown in the photo. The seller sent the clock w/o either and w/o a key. They were not in the package...it was thoroughly and painstakingly searched several times. :???:
Thanks Burkhard for the information regarding the pendulum.
The seller can not find the missing parts and was going to send me replacements...
He sent me a beat scale for a Regulator clock and 2 keys that do not fit the winding arbors:???: I am nearly undone...
I guess I could take the clock to a local clock repairman and see if he can help.
As I said if I had any idea about what to order from one of the clock supply houses I would do so. I have looked but can not find anything that looks like the leader?
Jay

Jaap

Mar 6, 2013
Country
Hi Jay,
I have a look a like unmarked German movement with a pendulem length of 16 CM. Mine is a Bim Bam with 2 hammers. You can make de pendulum leader your self and attach the suspension spring. I made one myself from a piano hinge. DSCF6568.jpg DSCF6584.jpg
The one you are looking for is in picture 3. The suspension spring is riveted to the leader. The width of the leader is 13mm. The suspension spring length is 30 mm and the width 6mm. 0.09 mm thick. DSCF6815.jpg DSCF6813.jpg
Hope this helps.

Jaap

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Nice work, Jaap! :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads