Park Road

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by ben_hutcherson, Nov 26, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just acquired two of these movements(both in 1872-style coin cases!) and just had some idle curiosity about them.

I know from reading the Oct. 1996 bulletin article on the 1872 model that this was the second grade introduced, after the Am'n. grade, and had a relatively brief run in the big picture of the 1872 model.

I'm just curious how it fits into the overall 1872 line-up in terms of quality, however. Reading the 1874 catalog in my Ehrhardt encyclopedia Vol. 1, its price in a 2 1/2 oz. 18K case is higher than both the 1857 AT&Co and 1870 Crescent Street in a similar weight case. So, it seems as though Waltham considered at that time as a better grade watch than either of these. Since there are no other 1872s listed in that catalog, however, I can't directly compare them.

The ones I have lack some of the niceties often associated with the better grade '72s, such as the tadpole regulator and individual numbered and screwed down pillars. They certainly seem like a nicely finished movement, though, and the gilding seems better than many lower grade watches from this period.

I'd appreciate any comments and discussion on this.

2. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This one fits in very well in terms of quality, because it is running nicely after a recent service.
    This is more than I can say for 2 orphan Riversides I have here, for which no replacement balance staff of the correct size could be found.

DSCN8422.JPG DSCN8426.JPG

viclip likes this.
  3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pictured watch is from the second run of Park Road that have lost the nice exposed winding click. There were a number of short runs made later which you can find by searching NAWCC-Info.

The Park Roads have always seemed to me to be intended for the English market, but I do not have any evidence to support that view.

4. ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since posting this 8 years ago, I've managed to assemble a set of a decent number of early-ish Park Roads.

IIRC(I'll check tomorrow) all the first runs have the exposed click while second run is hit or miss. Specifically, I know when I was assembling the set I have, I looked for both first and second run examples-first run was easy since I only had to look for lever set and button/nail set, while for the second run I needed four different ones(exposed button, exposed lever, hidden button, hidden lever). It's been a while since I've even looked at that tray of watches, so I don't seem to recall if I managed to get all 6 or not.

I'll try to photograph them tomorrow, with apologies ahead of time for the fact that some of the movements I have as representative samples are a bit rough around the edges.

musicguy likes this.
  5. ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just looked and 750,104 is exposed click and lever set. I don't have any other 750,xxx watches close at hand to check.

Also, 625,115 and 663 are both push-set and or course exposed click.