Paragon Swiss made for Canadian market ... Identify?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Fred Hansen, Jun 7, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Would appreciate if anyone could help me identify this watch as to maker and who it was made for ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Signed "Paragon" and "Swiss Made" on the dial, and the movement is signed with the letters "SB" in an oval on the barrel bridge. The other movement markings are "Swiss", "Adjusted To Five Positions, Twenty One 21 Jewels". The dial plate has a small area that has been milled out below the balance wheel and has handscratched writing near this of "19 Ligne" and "16s Omega Staff".

Overall its an impressively finished movement with gold train, gold jewel settings, nice mirror finished steelwork, and an attractive damaskeen.

Any info on this one appreciated!

Fred

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Paragon name shows up in my Canadian trade mark registry- in the name of Baumgold, Canada Ltd. However, Baumgold was not in the watch business to the best of my knowledge. They were in the DIAMOND business. They were located at 21 Dundas Square when they were in business. Watches? Dunno! Handsome watch in any event.

3. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Fred:

That's pretty nice!

Is it lever-set or pendant-set? Is there a serial number?

Thanks,

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Doug and Kent.

It is a pendent-set and this one does have a 5 digit serial number under the dial. I wrote the serial number down somewhere but can't find it so I'll have to give another look and post again here. This was the only marking under the dial, when I pulled the dial last week I'd hoped to find some more clues as to the maker but unfortunately didn't see any besides the serial number.

Fred

5. Mikrolisk

Mikrolisk Registered User

Feb 16, 2011
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just want to give this thread a little push.

See this little ad from the "La Federation Horlogere Suisse" from 1912, owner of this trade mark was the french man J.F. Castro-Araujo from Paris, but the watches were built by Montres Invar from La Chaux-de-Fonds (thus "swiss made").

Andreas

Attached Files:

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would anyone know if perhaps this was used on Canadian Railways. Great looking watch Fred.