Paper dials - preventing glue stains down the line

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by SteveF, Apr 22, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveF

SteveF Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Male
    Sausalito CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see re-papered dials often have recent glue stains showing thru.

Apart from a thorough cleaning of the pan is there a recommended paper glue and should the pan be sealed and if so is there any experience with a product that will stand the test of time?

Thanks, Steve..

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't speak to the "test of time", but I like the spray on adhesive. A very light mist is all that's needed. I assume that too much glue soaks into the paper just like water would. Eliminating the excess should result in better long term results. On a side note, I wouldn't use paper unless the original was paper or I was desperate :)

3. SteveF

SteveF Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Male
    Sausalito CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Desperate - yes. I have low grade 3-4 school drops with bad prior re-papers and I need to move them on and out.

4. Just In Time

Just In Time Registered User

May 21, 2011
    Retired
    Cambridge On. Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Steve,

I'm the new (not kid) on the block and have been referred to as "a new source for paper dials". With regard to your question, I use and highly recommend using 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive. The only drawback to this is that you must work quickly and accurately. If you would like more information on mounting your dial or any other information pertaining to clock dials please email me: d.legge@rogers.com.

Doug Legge (JUST IN TIME)

5. Jay Fortner

Jay Fortner Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steve, After cleaning your dial pan hit it with a coat of white paint,sometimes those stains coming through aren't glue,it's rust. Apply your glue to the pan and let it tack up before laying down your dial,that'll prevent to glue from leaching through.

6. whcureton

whcureton Registered User

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steve
    I recommend that you contact Doug Legge at Just In Time up in Canada. He responded earlier to your question and supplied his email address for additional information if you need it. He is the resident expert (and no, we're not related). He's doing a couple of dials for me and I'm having him mount them on the dial pans "up there" so I don't have to fuss with them myself. I've heard from some other NAWCC members who have given his work "Superior" grades. Even though he's Canadian he speaks pretty good English so you should have any problem communicating. (sorry Doug, I couldn't resist).
    - Bill in northern California