PAM Clock Motor

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by wbranko, Oct 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a PAM clock that had an Ingraham motor in it. I assumed the motor was beyond help, and replaced it with a new Synchron motor and movement, which works fine. However, upon further investigation I found the Ingraham motor still works. The clock was in a Butcher shop for years and the motor and movement are completely fouled with meat grease (yeah...I know...gross!). I know how to deal with the movement, but ...

The real question is how to clean the motor out and remove the meat grease? I assume I can not use an aqueous ammonia clock solution...but what CAN I use? Is a watch cleaning solution the answer? Or possibly something like Toluene (probably too agressive)?

20181017_152437.jpg

I would appreciate a tip/procedure from the experts. I will try to post a photo with this message.

2. davefr

davefr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Semi Retired Engr. Mgr - Currently Rebuilding Tele
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 davefr, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    I'd remove the rotor core and clean it's shafts/pinion gear by hand. I would not dip the main body of the motor in anything since it's integrated with the coil. I'd probably put one drop of mineral spirits or naptha in the inner bushing and clean it with a toothpick. (repeat a couple times) After that, put one drop of very light viscosity oil in the bushing. (don't use clock oil!!)

You could also use an aerosol electrical motor or contact cleaner since they don't affect electrical insulation.

[​IMG]

3. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:

Dave,

Thanks...great detailed response. I will give it a try!!

4. Jenson

Jenson Registered User

Oct 24, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I had expel the rotor center and clean it's poles/pinion outfit by hand, i would not plunge the principle body of the engine in anything since it's coordinated with the loop, i had likely put one drop of mineral spirits or naphtha in the inward bushing and clean it with a toothpick...

In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: It goes on