Pallet fork repair

PostalWatchGuy

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2009
I have a few ELGIN pocket watch movements that have bad forks. My question is how do I take them apart to change the pinions. It looks like it unscrews but I don't want to attempt til I have some advice.
thank you

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
Unfortunately for answering the question Elgin watch company made lots of different watches and without seeing a picture or which pallet fork were discussing it's hard to give an exact answer. So basically you're dealing with either screw in or friction in. To give you a clue I'm attaching a page out of the 1915 parts book.

elgin pfa.jpg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi PostalWatchGuy,

If you try and unscrew a friction fit arbor, you won't do any damage and it might still come out. However, if you try and drive out a screw fitting one, you certainly will do some damage, so always try the screw route first. BTW, they're arbors with pivots, they don't have pinions.

Regards,

Graham

PostalWatchGuy

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2009
Hi PostalWatchGuy,

If you try and unscrew a friction fit arbor, you won't do any damage and it might still come out. However, if you try and drive out a screw fitting one, you certainly will do some damage, so always try the screw route first. BTW, they're arbors with pivots, they don't have pinions.

Regards,

Graham
Thank you for proper part name. It does show threads like it is screw on. Does it screw clockwise or counter clockwise.

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Counter-clockwise to unscrew, like a regular right hand thread screw.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuzzy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions