Pallet fork repair

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by PostalWatchGuy, Apr 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PostalWatchGuy

PostalWatchGuy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2009
    I have a few ELGIN pocket watch movements that have bad forks. My question is how do I take them apart to change the pinions. It looks like it unscrews but I don't want to attempt til I have some advice.
    thank you

2. John Runciman

John Runciman Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately for answering the question Elgin watch company made lots of different watches and without seeing a picture or which pallet fork were discussing it's hard to give an exact answer. So basically you're dealing with either screw in or friction in. To give you a clue I'm attaching a page out of the 1915 parts book.

elgin pfa.jpg

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi PostalWatchGuy,

If you try and unscrew a friction fit arbor, you won't do any damage and it might still come out. However, if you try and drive out a screw fitting one, you certainly will do some damage, so always try the screw route first. BTW, they're arbors with pivots, they don't have pinions.

Regards,

Graham

4. PostalWatchGuy

PostalWatchGuy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Thank you for proper part name. It does show threads like it is screw on. Does it screw clockwise or counter clockwise.

5. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Counter-clockwise to unscrew, like a regular right hand thread screw.