• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Painter’s tape

Pensivedoc

NAWCC Member
Jan 29, 2020
Country
Anyone else tape their handwheels while cutting wheels to avoid unwanted nudges?

7FD91CCE-1B4F-4C5B-AF0C-ACC31A100163.png

Hessel Oosten

Apr 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Country
I (personally) don' expect that many will do this, because most mills have tension-levers to securely fasten the table/bed.
But if that (common) option is not available, this seems to be a good solution.

Hessel

Reactions: Pensivedoc

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
The Sherline mill shown has positive locks on all the axes. Tape will have no effect on backlash in the feed screws anyway.

Eric

Pensivedoc

NAWCC Member
Jan 29, 2020
Country
I (personally) don' expect that many will do this, because most mills have tension-levers to securely fasten the table/bed.
But if that (common) option is not available, this seems to be a good solution.

Hessel
It’s more a “don’t mess with this” signal for the operator than a fix for anything mechanical.:)

Reactions: etmb61

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
When I set my lathe up to cut gears, I tighten the gibs and tape the handwheels after everything is set. I don't want anything moving that isn't supposed to move and the tape on the hand wheels is extra insurance...and also reminds me: "Don't Touch This!"

Hessel Oosten

Apr 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Country
It’s more a “don’t mess with this” signal for the operator than a fix for anything mechanical
To avoid misunderstanding:

My remark was -not- to criticize this procedure, but caused by the fact that I thought (to my surprise) that the dividing was done without proper mechanical fixes.
Happy to hear now that the size of the first tooth was the same as the last+1 ….;)

Hessel