paint splatter problem

R

runninslow

i purchased a sessions black mantel clock at a flea market the other day. clock was in ok shape...but....... someone neglected to cover it when they where painting. has splatters all over it. i have the book "exterme restoration" (and i must say that it is excellent!!!!) but i didnt see anything about refinishing this type of finish(i dont think)or if it is even possible to remove the splatters......anyone know of a "magic chemical to revove the dried paint. most likely oil base and leaded.and also.....what is the finish on these type of clocks:???: lacquer?? thanks

R

runninslow

i purchased a sessions black mantel clock at a flea market the other day. clock was in ok shape...but....... someone neglected to cover it when they where painting. has splatters all over it. i have the book "exterme restoration" (and i must say that it is excellent!!!!) but i didnt see anything about refinishing this type of finish(i dont think)or if it is even possible to remove the splatters......anyone know of a "magic chemical to revove the dried paint. most likely oil base and leaded.and also.....what is the finish on these type of clocks:???: lacquer?? thanks

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi RS,
I am presuming a "black mantel clock" is probably adamantine and is celluloid/wood in construction.
A photo might help,but anyway go to FIND and and search under "paint removal",lots of help and one of the case restorers will jump in here pretty quick.
Dont just start with chemicals as you can do irreperable damage it it is adamantine.
Regards,
Bruce

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Runninslow, I usually use my fingernails to remove paint drips from a case, or a sharp knife on enough of an angle that it only hits the paint and not the finish under the paint. I would try this first before trying any chemicals that likely will damage the finish.
Harold

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
Hello RS,

I have had pretty good luck using an old plastic credit card for a scraper.It will usually lift off the splatters without scratching the paint.

Regards, Dutch

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
I just finished going through my junk mail and I get credit card solicitations almost every day. Inside they sometimes have those temporary cards, which I can use, so I dont have to wait for an old credit card.

R

runninslow

hey everybody, thanks for your help.......the credi card seems to be working, but i have some big drips that are giving me problems. thanks again!!
jerry

SSWood

Sep 27, 2004
Has anybody noticed that these splashes are nearly always what was known as "Magnolia" ?
Seem to be on every clock that has come my way - must have occurred when the "expensive purchase, wedding present" became part of the furniture, and then wasn't even worth moving , or covering, when re-decorating. I'm now, quite suprised when I don't find the small white ( Magnolia -- Who invented that colour ? )splashes on a clock case.
To remove them, I use a plastic plant label .. soft(ish) white plastic .. and as my greenhouse is only a couple of yards away .. readily available.
I've had these splashes on almost every type of clock ... French slate, boulle,bracket clocks, Old dial clocks, and of course .. mantel clocks .. so much so, that I now call it the "Mandatory Magnolia". Purely as a matter of interest - Has anybody noticed any other colour, shade or hue ?
Steve

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Steve, it is probably ceiling white paint yellowed with age. Ceilings are usually painted with a long-handled roller because of the height. The painter doesn't realize that the paint spatters on everything in it's path. My husband often started painting as I hurriedly covered everything I didn't want white polka dotted, floors, furniture, etc.

I am working on a Sessions black mantel clock now with the same "Magnolia" white specks. Fortunately there were only a few. The finish was badly worn, but I didn't want to repaint it because the gold was still in the imprinted design and it had the imitation green marble trim above and below the 6 columns. I used black shoe polish to bring a little shine to the black wood and it covered the white specks.

Missy

Bill Ward

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2003
USA
Acrylic latex paint has been around for quite a while now; it's been very popular for interiors (which aren't as demanding as exteriors are for paint) because it's easy to clean up. So, this is probably what the paint is.
Some types of acrylic paints are slightly soluble in isopropyl alcohol for a long time after they've dried; others, for a shorter time. Since this is a mild solvent, you might try it where the plastic scraper couldn't get off the paint. Alcohol does dissolve some finishes (shellac) but you might be able to save those finishes anyway. My advice: try it before you go to anything drastic, like paint remover.

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
If it is latex paint, try a product called "Goof-Off" which removes latex paint.

Otherwise, the old standby is lacquer thinner - but it requires a judicious hand, so as not to dissolve the existing finish. (Obviously, it's not to be used on a lacquered finish!) Sometimes the thinner will soften a larger spatter enough to facilitate scraping it off. Quite often a varnished surface can withstand it and lacquer thinner on a cloth will dissolve the spatters right off with a vigorous rub.

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
As Steve alluded, the clock apparently became "part of the furniture", but I am still amazed that these clocks weren't moved or thoroughly covered when the room was painted. I realize we assign greater value to the diminishing number of clocks that still remain today and as a result treat them with much greater care.. But at the same time, I move or cover my old TV when painting in that room.

Considering how often we get clocks that are horribly out of beat from being moved just to dust the mantle, I would think the original owners cared enough to move or cover it...but it appears they didn't.

Still baffled, Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cspeed8
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff