Page 20 of the 2018 price guide.....

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by butlercreek, May 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. butlercreek

butlercreek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Male
    Chief bottle washer
    Northwest
    Country Flag:
    shows a waltham “railroader” dial..... can anyone tell me the correct time period for this dial and possible movement dial configurations for it? Thank you

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Just off of the top of my head, without any checking and just based on my impressions from seeing and recording notes on tens of thousands of watches:

I don't have a copy of the 2018 edition of the book, so I don't know exactly to what you are referring. Waltham's "Railroader" dial has always meant to me the general of the dial shown below. It has appeared bearing the "Waltham" signature without "Railroader" and has also carried private label watch names (I think). I only remember seeing them on 18-size watches, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one on a 16-size movement.

It's general period was probably 1893-1900 and it has appeared on railroad grade model 1883 movements: Crescent St.; Appleton, Tracy & Co.; No. 35; No. 25; and maybe the Non-Magnetic No. 40.

I don't recall seeing it on model 1892 movements, but it may have been made for those as well. Again, it would have appeared on the railroad grade movements: Vanguard, Crescent St.; Appleton, Tracy & Co.; and maybe the Non-Magnetic No. 45. I think that the grade No. 845 was introduced a little late for the Railroader dial.

Waltham_Railroader_Dial.jpg

3. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    I recall seeing it in Waltham's 1909 material catalog.

4. butlercreek

NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Male
    Chief bottle washer
    Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Thanx guys, that’s what I was looking for..... I’ll post again on this thread in a few days with some more info

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As Greg notes, the “Rail Road” dial was shown in Waltham’s 1909 material catalogs (and also the 1911 catalog). It is shown in five styles: bold Roman numerals (with and without marginal 5-minute numerals), heavy Arabic numerals (with and without marginal 5-minute numerals) and heavy Arabic with a 13-24 inner track. The first four were available single-sunk or double-sunk, the 24-hour was only single-sunk. All varieties were offered for 16 or 18-size models (presumably including the ’92 model).

6. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kent, if you have one Price Guide it's all that's necessary IMHO. My 2008 has
    not changed much from my 2015 Price Guide.

Keith R...

7. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Keith, you might have mixed the dates on those books.

8. butlercreek

NAWCC Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Male
    Chief bottle washer
    Northwest
    Country Flag:
    I can confirm that it was made for the ‘92 model as I have two of them, one as pictured but without the “railroader” and the other is a 24 hour dial.

9. Bill Manders

Bill Manders Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also have it on a 92, without the railroader heading
    Bill

10. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    179, you are correct..................It's actually 2004 edition & 2015 edition!

Thanks, Keith R...

11. W.T. Owen

W.T. Owen Registered User

Apr 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have several of these dial in all forms mentioned but none of them include the "RailRoader" on it. Didnt know they were produced until now.