Packing a Barraud two day marine chronometer

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Maria Guzu, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Maria Guzu

Maria Guzu New Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hello Everyone!

I was hoping to get some help ? I work in packing antiques from auction houses and we have just come across a Barraud two day marine chronometer. I was hoping to get some advice on packing it - we are worried that maybe we should do something special for the mechanism ?

We have removed it from the gimbals and packed it separately(its own box and wrapped in bubble) from the wooden box, everything being triple boxed. Is there something extra that we should do ?

Thank you for your help everyone!

2. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    The movement should be removed from the drum and the balance wheel stopped (if running) by the use of a small soft brush applied to the rim of the balance. Two wedges of cork or folded paper should then be inserted under the balance wheel at the opposite ends of the balance arm in order to prevent movement. Great care should be taken to avoid excessive force here. The wedges only need to be inserted firm enough that they will not fall out.

The movement should then be reinstalled in the drum and packed as you propose.

3. Maria Guzu

Maria Guzu New Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for the quick reply ! I will pass on the info and we will follow the instructions!

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Maria, and welcome to the forum,

If you've already decided to pack the bowl (or drum) with the movement inside it separately from the wooden box, that's OK. Just make sure that it's properly seated in the bowl (it only fits in one way) and the bezel with the glass is screwed down properly and its threads aren't crossed. I'd add one more thing to Snapper's advice, and that is to wind the movement just one turn before putting in the wedges. It's vitally important that you heed his advice not to use too much force when you insert them, and to be sure to put them under the wheel where the cross arms meet the rim. There isn't much room between the balance rim and the top plate, so some folded paper may be quite sufficient.

If you aren't sure how to take the movement out of the bowl safely, please come back and ask more questions.

Regards,

Graham

5. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I like to ship them dial facing down, removed from gimbal and properly packed. Care in corking the balance wheel cannot be stressed enough. $1000 plus damage could be done in an instant.

Rule #1 applies.... "Know what you are doing"

Ralph