Pacific Electric Time Co.

J

John Odom

I started digging in my boxes of clock stuff (that I haven't touched for years) and found an impulse dial marked "Pacific Electric time Co. San Fransisco" It is two wire with no provision for correction and is only the mechanism, dial, wood bezle and glass. It seems to have been meant for mounting through a panel with setting from the rear.

Does anyone have information about this maker?

J

John Odom

I started digging in my boxes of clock stuff (that I haven't touched for years) and found an impulse dial marked "Pacific Electric time Co. San Fransisco" It is two wire with no provision for correction and is only the mechanism, dial, wood bezle and glass. It seems to have been meant for mounting through a panel with setting from the rear.

Does anyone have information about this maker?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
To my knowledge, the Pacific Electric Clock company was based first in Berkeley California circa 1928 or so. The company had a marketing office in San Francisco at the same address as the Standard Electric Time company circa 1930.

Nearly every Pacific Electric Clock master, slave and tower clock I've seen had a lot of similarity with Standard Electric Time Co. products. And many were subsequently repaired using SETCO parts.

It is my own opinion that Pacific Electric Clock Co. may have been absorbed by SETCO to settle debt.

I own a Pacific Electric master clock. The workmanship on the case and wiring is, in my view, not on par with that of SETCO products of the same age.

Original PE master clock movements had wheels, contacts etc. identical to SETCO master movements but the plates were rectangular. Too the mounting casting differs from SETCO.
To my knowledge, no PE systems had automatic reset capability unless modified with SETCO parts.

I suspect the PE clocks were mainly sold on the West coast and few if any existed East of the Rockies. One system existed in Prescott Arizona.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notice
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff