Paarmann & Cohn Berlin, Deutschland; gegründet 1868, bis

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Donytec, Jul 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Donytec

Donytec Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dose anyone have any history about Paarmann & Cohn clocks

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the forum.

Paarmann & Cohn were wholesalers, not clockmakers.

If you have a particular clock that prompted your question, please provide clear pictures of the clock, including a picture of the backplate. We may be able to tell you more about your clock.

Regards.

3. Donytec

Donytec Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I research a lot of German clocks over the last 20 years, but first time I have seen one of these Paarmann & Cohn clocks
    Looks like the standard full plate movement design, but I cant find any history about the clock maker and it has made me very
    curious, I would put it around 1880 or 90 is my guess judging by the design.

s-l1600 1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

4. Donytec

Donytec Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    You say they were not clock makers but yet there is a trademark on the movement Hummmm

Trade marke.JPG

5. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have contributors who can identify unmarked German movements, and they should be along to comment on the movement. Although your clock is marked Paarmann and Cohn, they were, as I stated, the wholesaler, not the maker.

By looks, the 1890s could be a good estimate of the vintage, but others will most likely comment.

I do not have the full history of Paarmann, but those with access to the Lexikon will hopefully provide more information on the history of P&C.

Regards.

6. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is not uncommon. The German clockmakers sold loose, unmarked movements to the wholesalers and retailers and allowed the wholesaler / retailer to apply their mark to the movement. The best example of this for any clock is Tiffany - they were not clockmakers or watchmakers, but contracted with French clockmakers who allowed Tiffany to mark their clocks (and watches).

Regards.

7. Donytec

Donytec Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the information, you see I am getting an education today to further my knowledge.
    What you have said is making me think it might be a Kienzle movement. Who else in that time would
    have sold to other retailers.
    But that is just looking at similar Kienzle movements.

8. Donytec

Donytec Registered User

Jul 29, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I was thinking it might be Kienzle, but this gong mount dose not look like kienzle, Maybe someone can help

s-l1600 2.jpg

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The story of Paarman & Cohn is not a very happy one. This is a paraphrase from Schmid's Lexikon der deutschen Uhrenindustrie:

The company was founded in Berlin, around the year 1868. At first they were simply wholesalers of clocks and other items, but later developed a factory which seems to have made cases into which movements were fitted. The company became well-known for their very attractive and sometimes elaborate cases. The movements were often those made by Werner or Kienzle. The company had to go into liquidation in 1892, because although they had large stocks in their warehouse, they had accrued very high levels of debt.

Both the partners then committed suicide

I think the movement in the OP's clock may be a Werner product, but there are those who may be able to identify it more exactly.

JTD

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It does, in any event, have similarities to the movement in post # 17 of the "Werner French Style" thread: Post your Carl Werner movements here (French Style)

11. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    There are more than twenty P&C movements in my database, all produced by F. Mauthe.

BR, Tatyana