P.S. Bartlett Model 1865

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
I've looked over the other threads on here about these and other older 10s watches but I still had a few more questions. I, eventually, would like to have one of each model of the P.S. Bartlett that was made, so I had grabbed the one in the pictures below off of ebay last week. Just a small chip in the dial near 2o'clock, but the movement looks beautiful. I don't have the skills to fully disassemble a movement but it starts right up with a small shake. I also don't have the correct size key to give it a full wind, it seems to be a good bit smaller than size 18's. Could someone tell me what size key this watch would take? Of course, it was movement only as so many of them are. Why are so many, of this size specifically, missing their cases? Low production numbers? Sold off during the Depression or World War's? But if so, why this size? So other than the obvious parts of it needing to be size 10, have the two key holes in the back and also have the correct hole for the movement pin, is there anything else specific I need to look for when buying a case? Besides ebay, would there be any other places I should check for a case like this? Lastly, (I hope I'm allowed to ask this here) roughly how much do these cases sell for when they pop up? I hope that wasn't too many questions for everybody haha! Thanks in advance for the information, it's deeply appreciated.

785943.jpg 785943-2.jpg

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
These were sold as ladies watches in the day. Obviously most of the cases were scrapped probably because they weren't being worn any longer. You probably won't have too many problems collecting all of the models but expect to pay dearly for a gold cased example. I look at these all of the time on Ebay but the prices seem to be inflated, like the 1872's, and being most can't be cased, it makes no sense for me to buy them, also parts aren't readily available unless you destroy additional movements. Sorry I can't help you with the key size but would say it would be #7 or #8.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Nice movement! I can't speak about walthams, but I've been sitting on a nice Elgin 10s keywinder for a while with no case. The movements are very affordable... But when a cased one comes up they always go way above my price range . Someone would do well making and selling a pile of 10s display cases, in my opinion!

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
10s complete watches in various states of decay do turn up from time to time here, although the seller doesn't usually know what they have. Particularly Waltham model 1874-10 and also 1878. Can usually be picked up for the normal price for a random old pocket watch.
In many models there is a surplus of movements over cases because the "missing" cases got melted down for their gold or silver content.
As for the keys - i suggest buying a full set of 14 new ones from the online flea market of your choosing - usually available for just a few quid. One is bound to fit it. Some of the others will come in handy for the other PSB models.

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
I appreciate the replies everyone! Thanks for idea on the key set, I needed a different size for an Elgin I recently got as well so the whole set will be helpful. I went ahead and bought a set and I'll post the key size for this watch when I get them. I guess I'll just keep being patient and hope to stumble across a case one day. My grandfather had purchased a good bit (the box its all in weights probably about 10lbs) of sterling silver in the few years after he got back from WW2. My mom said it has no sentimental value to her, so I was hoping one day to use some of it to have a custom case made. This smaller Bartlett might be a good candidate. Although, I have no clue how much something like that would cost, so that dream may disappear rather quickly hahaha