• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

P.H.& S clock, could this be dated please.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
I have had this clock about four years, would be better if i had a rough date of manufacture, please can you help Richard.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The company registered this Teutonia mark, in several variations, around 1878/80, so we know your clock cannot be older than that.

Going by the style of the clock, I would guess at around ± 1900/10, but that's only an approximation.

Hope this helps.

JTD

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
I came across a link, a building in Pennsylvania called Teutonia Maennerchor Hall, built in 1888 in Deutschtown, by Architect George Ott.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, Teutonia was a very common name for all sorts of things German. It could even, in a poetic sense, refer to Germany itself, hence Teuton and Teutonic.

And for companies situated near the Teutoburger Wald, it was also a useful trade name, combining a kind of national identity with a geographical truth. There was a well-known brand of baby carriages called Teutonia.

And the building you found was the hall used by the Teutonia Männerchor, (Teutonia male choir), another use of the word Teutonia.

Haas was just one of many companies who liked the name.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent