Overrated Watches

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
RonC started an enjoyable thread with underated. I am just curious what some of your opinions are to the most overrated. I have one Omega, a ladies Concord and a couple of Accutrons that have seen more down time than I care to discuss. I do have several Omegas that have been a pleasure. Just my experience and opinion.

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
RonC started an enjoyable thread with underated. I am just curious what some of your opinions are to the most overrated. I have one Omega, a ladies Concord and a couple of Accutrons that have seen more down time than I care to discuss. I do have several Omegas that have been a pleasure. Just my experience and opinion.

W

Wayne D.

I know I'm going to get beat up, tar and feathered and road out of town for saying this, but any watch that costs more than a thousand dollars!

W.R. WoodWorking

Jul 6, 2005
Reform,Alabama
At one time I would have said Rolex. The 1st one I ever put on was the one I wanted. I chose it from several differant models, and when I asked the price of $$$$$.00 I thought this is highly overrated watch. and completly rediculous.
Then I learned, (if I am correct) that each Rolex is hand made through and through, and takes about a year to complete. If that is so, then rolex has every right to ask the selling price. and dont dought they will get it, but not from me. I am happy with my Dollar watches, and the keep good enough time for me.

rlxdeusirae

Dec 25, 2005
Originally posted by W.R. WoodWorking:
Then I learned, (if I am correct) that each Rolex is hand made through and through, and takes about a year to complete.
No, they are mass produced. Just think of the price as a circuitous donation to charity.

Last edited by a moderator:

W.R. WoodWorking

Jul 6, 2005
Reform,Alabama
thanks rlxdeusirae, I stand corrected. I looked up the history of Rolex after I read your reply and you are correct. I will paste a little of it here
At Rolex, the product is an obsession."
Consider the care taken to decorate the inside of a Rolex--the parts the wearer never even sees. At the company's Geneva headquarters, Rolex's craftsmen, dressed in white laboratory smocks, pull up to ergonomically designed workstations, then execute minute operations in near silence. Each component of every tiny movement is sculpted with swirls, lines or loops. Every angle is rounded and polished to a brilliant shine. This provides absolutely no value to the consumer, except as a gesture of the brand's refinement.
That Rolex has always produced its own movements separates it from other well-known mechanical brands. More than 200 craftsmen and technicians will work on a watch before it acquires Rolex certification. "There's so much more to a Rolex than the average person will ever need. And in that sense it's the Mercedes-Benz of wristwatches. It's over engineered. Not because Rolex wants to squander money but because that's just the way they do things."
Before leaving Geneva, every Rolex watch must travel through a high-tech obstacle course of quality-control checks. Every dial, bezel and winder will be checked and double-checked for scratches, dust and aesthetic imperfection. The microscopic distance between its hour and minute hands will be painstakingly calibrated to ascertain that they are lying perfectly parallel. An ominous-looking air-pressure chamber will verify that each watch is waterproof to a depth of 330 feet. (The Submariner and Sea-Dweller divers' models are guaranteed to 1,000 and 4,000 feet, respectively.) And every watch will engage in a precision face-off against an atomic-generated "?berclock" that loses but two seconds every 100 years. Only after successfully passing dozens of checkpoints does a watch receive the Rolex seal.
Such attention to detail limits Rolex's production to about 650,000 watches a year, based on industry estimates. "That might sound like a lot," insists Lister of Christie's, "but it's very far below market demand." But, as Andr? Heiniger once said, "We've never wanted to be the biggest, but certainly one of the finest in the field."

frankb

Feb 21, 2005
W.R.-AP claims that they make a watch that takes one year to build (not that it's necessarily overrated).

In the current issue of DEPARTURES magazine (by American Express) Audemars Piguet is running an 8-page ad citing their historic landmark innovations.

They showcase their 52 jewel Grande Complication in a 2-page spread with the caption "One Watchmaker, One year to Complete", "Movement of the Grande Complication Skeleton- 648 parts".
Frank

R

Rixtar

Hugo Boss
Cartier
Omega (yes I said it)
Tag
Movado

Any watch that sells for more than the average automobile.

W.R. WoodWorking

Jul 6, 2005
Reform,Alabama
Hello Frankb, AP most diffantly has a incrediable watch, that is for sure.
I really like the Jules Audemars equation of time, but I bet(if I were a betting man) it would take a years salery, to buy one
I also notice that some of the folks here are listing Movado as an overrated watch. I must agree, What is so special about a ugly quartz watch like Movado, costing over a thousand. am I missing something?

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
All,

Breitling
Concord
Franck Muller
Ebel
Anything Zodiac

In my opinion, most current quartz watches capitalizing on old-line names to justify high prices are probably overrated in terms of movement quality. Vintage mechanical Movado, Longines and Omega have been very nice in my experience, as are many others.

For what it's worth,

Cary

K

kievuser

Originally posted by Wayne D.:
I know I'm going to get beat up, tar and feathered and road out of town for saying this, but any watch that costs more than a thousand dollars!
Dear Comrade Wayne,

I can't agree more. :biggrin:

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
kd4tsc,

Thanks for not collecting Rolex! I wish there were more like you! To those of us that do collect them, the price is bad enough as it is, without even more competition!

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Hardy,

I'll bet the author of this critique never looked at a glass of tap water through a 20 power loupe like he did on the Rolex. Few things in life are able to stand up to such scrutiny. We are dealing with a base model Rolex here. It would be interesting to do a side by side microscopic comparison with a base model Patek, THEN to compare the prices!

H

Hardy

I agree, Doug, I was quite surprised myself. Although his comments on the validity of the sample from a statistical standpoint are true, it is hard to imagine that it is generally characteristic of Rolex.

I think we must accept that the day of the great watchmakers and finishers is gone and remember that today's watches owe more to the graphic designer and the micro-technologist than to the ministrations of a "real" watchmaker. People in general will buy the package, the dial,case and strap and the insides are almost irrelevant. See the examples in the overrated watch list that precedes this for proof of that.

R

RonC

Interesting comments by the author of the Timezone review of the Explorer in which the reviewer was not very impressed with the movement.

His thoughts are in contrast to recent opinions of Rolex movements (not the movement in the Explorer) in a 2005 issue of Watchtime that compared Rolex's Submariner with IWC's diver's watch and the most recent edition of the magazine, which has a test of the gold GMT II. The magazine was very impressed with the Rolex movement.

Snowfox

Dec 21, 2010
Hugo Boss
Cartier
Omega (yes I said it)
Tag
Movado

Any watch that sells for more than the average automobile.

Wow. Are you serious? :confused:
Hugo Boss watches rarely cost more than $600. They're excellent value for their build and 2 year warranty. At least compared to their $200 shirts :cool:
The Versace ones are also very nice and affordable.

Breitling = definitely overrated. Mine spends 2 months in 12 in the service department. An automatic chronograph which needs batteries for other functions to function, is not an automatic chronograph in my books - it's a nightmare! Not only does battery failure stitch you up, but you have the double whammy of automatic wind up failure too.

Tag Heuer - had a pair of their sports glasses (prescription). Fell apart at the nose bridge. Will their watches fare any better? I daren't try - but my experience has already been contaminated.

Omega = common as mud

Seiko = common as mud common

Rolex = mud commoners' common mud with a price tag (having said that, my parents' have never failed in their 50 years)

Bulova; Cartier; any Beverley Hills names = over-rated.

Now the interesting bit: the under-rated:

Milus!

tick talk

Sep 16, 2008
Country
How about an overrated feature common to many brands...chronometer certificaton. Today's feeble chronometer standards attempt to increase perceived value simply for achieving reasonable timekeeping.

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
Add Bucherer to the underrated list. I recently acquired a very nice 1970's Bucherer chronometer for under $100. I read somewhere that Rolex produced watches for Bucherer, is that so?

JeffL

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I have seen private label watches made by Rolex with the Bucherer name along with Rolex on the dial. But Rolex actually producing a movement for Bucherer? That I do not know. Bucherer and Rolex may have both used an ebauche from a third party which might give that impression, I suppose.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions