• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Otto Frei’s building listed for sale

4thdimension

Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
It may be the pandemic has another victim. My son just phoned to let me know he saw that their building is on the market. I’ve been enjoying the convenience of a walk-in material house since 1986. I could cry.

Reactions: RL

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I placed an order about a week ago and had no response until today. They called me about it and we were able to come up with a work around to a problem. They seem to be in business as of today

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Are they relocating?

4thdimension

Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
I do not know their plan, only that their building, which covers half a block, is on the market. The listing stated the building would be cleared by close of escrow. It apparently also promoted the site as being zoned for a cannabis dispensary. Sigh. They have been in business at least 75 years and have a tremendous amount of inventory. Way back when an employee who knew I liked character watches spotted a complete assortment of the Disney birthday watch hands from 1948 and sold them to me for 3-set! Some things like staffs and bands are just easier to buy in person. I will get more info and report back.-Cort

Reactions: PatH

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
I live in Fremont, about 20min away from them but have never gone by there. Looks like i need to soon.

4thdimension

Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Hey yellow_sub, we were in Fremont recently adopting a kitten <(‘;’)> . Frei’s has not opened their doors to the public for many months. You can still schedule a pickup out the back door if you order ahead.-Cort

measuretwice

Jul 28, 2019
Toronto
Country
It could be dire, otoh best not to jump to conclusions.... lots of reasons why a building can sell without the occupant going out of business. It could be they could be a tenant in the building, or plan on selling and moving to the burbs, etc. There is lots of high density redevelopment going on in the area.

Reactions: 4thdimension

yellow_sub

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2019
NorCal
Country
Region
Hey yellow_sub, we were in Fremont recently adopting a kitten <(‘;’)> . Frei’s has not opened their doors to the public for many months. You can still schedule a pickup out the back door if you order ahead.-Cort
Nice! Glad to see other local people on here. Hopefully while out here you stay away from the antique shops in Niles haha, kidding! Thank you for the heads up on Frei's current business operation before I made the trip out there.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brunettis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit