• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Oswald re-found after 10 years Rudolf Valentino

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
rv10.jpg R_Val4.jpg R_Val.jpg R_Val1.jpg R_Val14.jpg

This is not new buy, I have had it for many years just forgot I had it as it was in my many box's of clocks . I picked it up all those years ago as it was not a dog, or cat so a bit different. It was not working so it went into the queue, however like most of the clocks it never got out of it.

Anyway it needed to be re-bushed as the photos show the movement was in a bad way, lucky all the parts were there, however missing the back cover (if someone has one let me know). There is an interesting thing about the movement, it has a seconds pinion, I went looking for the patent (US1598497A)and found that it also had a seconds pinion. I had the movement running when out of the head, then when I put it into the head it would stop ever so often (it is only 30 hour). After taking it out a few times I came upon the reason, the eyes needed bushing, never even though of that. Anyway something different.

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
I was puzzled, but I guess the eyes rotate to tell the time? I don't know whether to clarify this as novelty, or just plain creepy... Kind of cool in either case. No, wait... It's weird. I don't know...:confused:

Tom

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, the eyes tell the time. These clocks come in all kinds of versions, scotty dogs, owls, skulls, just abut anything with eyes. They used to be very popular and the good ones still command decent prices.

Oswald Co, in Germany are the most well known, but there were others I think, and some Japanese versions made later on.

JTD

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Cool clock, i have always wanted one.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Great clock, JimmyOz! Thanks for sharing it.

I was puzzled, but I guess the eyes rotate to tell the time? I don't know whether to clarify this as novelty, or just plain creepy... Kind of cool in either case. No, wait... It's weird. I don't know...:confused:
Surprisingly, once you get over the weirdness, it's pretty easy to tell the time - hours to the left and minutes to the right.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It's a bit of fun, not a great time keeper, however I don't think they were made for that, just a novelty. It does have a number stamped on the bottom of the head, not sure how many were made however it looks to me to be early at 6383, I will keep an eye open on eBay for a back plate.
. rv5.jpg R_Val3.jpg

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
And so continues the horological education of M Kinsler. I'd neither seen nor heard of one of these. Nice job of restoration, and thanks for posting it.

M Kinsler

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region

Tom
I'm in the plain creepy camp....

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
The imogi is at 9.50 or is that 21.50, if you look left it is about 8.45 and right 2.45 and up 12.00 and down 5.30 and , and ,and, and ... not that it affects me in anyway ....

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The imogi is at 9.50 or is that 21.50, if you look left it is about 8.45 and right 2.45 and up 12.00 and down 5.30 and , and ,and, and ... not that it affects me in anyway ....
I think the clock shows 11:30. The white dots are the "hands", I believe.

Uhralt

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
:confused: I was talking about this fellow in the post, not the clock itself, just a bit of fun.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Yes. But please recall the demographics of clock repairers. I believe that the median age here is around 102. We're easily fooled.

Mark Kinsler

(Then again our friend and neighbor-two-doors-away Mrs Arnold just turned 104. She lives by herself, devours very long novels, and has two quartz clocks, which she regards as marvelous inventions.)