Oswald re-found after 10 years Rudolf Valentino

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by JimmyOz, Nov 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    rv10.jpg R_Val4.jpg R_Val.jpg R_Val1.jpg R_Val14.jpg

This is not new buy, I have had it for many years just forgot I had it as it was in my many box's of clocks . I picked it up all those years ago as it was not a dog, or cat so a bit different. It was not working so it went into the queue, however like most of the clocks it never got out of it.

Anyway it needed to be re-bushed as the photos show the movement was in a bad way, lucky all the parts were there, however missing the back cover (if someone has one let me know). There is an interesting thing about the movement, it has a seconds pinion, I went looking for the patent (US1598497A)and found that it also had a seconds pinion. I had the movement running when out of the head, then when I put it into the head it would stop ever so often (it is only 30 hour). After taking it out a few times I came upon the reason, the eyes needed bushing, never even though of that. Anyway something different.

musicguy, PatH and ballistarius like this.
  2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was puzzled, but I guess the eyes rotate to tell the time? I don't know whether to clarify this as novelty, or just plain creepy... Kind of cool in either case. No, wait... It's weird. I don't know...:confused:

Tom

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, the eyes tell the time. These clocks come in all kinds of versions, scotty dogs, owls, skulls, just abut anything with eyes. They used to be very popular and the good ones still command decent prices.

Oswald Co, in Germany are the most well known, but there were others I think, and some Japanese versions made later on.

JTD

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cool clock, i have always wanted one.

5. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great clock, JimmyOz! Thanks for sharing it.

Surprisingly, once you get over the weirdness, it's pretty easy to tell the time - hours to the left and minutes to the right.

6. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a bit of fun, not a great time keeper, however I don't think they were made for that, just a novelty. It does have a number stamped on the bottom of the head, not sure how many were made however it looks to me to be early at 6383, I will keep an eye open on eBay for a back plate.
    . rv5.jpg R_Val3.jpg

7. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And so continues the horological education of M Kinsler. I'd neither seen nor heard of one of these. Nice job of restoration, and thanks for posting it.

M Kinsler

8. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm in the plain creepy camp....

9. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The imogi is at 9.50 or is that 21.50, if you look left it is about 8.45 and right 2.45 and up 12.00 and down 5.30 and , and ,and, and ... not that it affects me in anyway ....

10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the clock shows 11:30. The white dots are the "hands", I believe.

Uhralt

11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Exactly. I have never thought these clocks were hard to read.

JTD

12. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :confused: I was talking about this fellow in the post, not the clock itself, just a bit of fun.

13. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. But please recall the demographics of clock repairers. I believe that the median age here is around 102. We're easily fooled.

Mark Kinsler

(Then again our friend and neighbor-two-doors-away Mrs Arnold just turned 104. She lives by herself, devours very long novels, and has two quartz clocks, which she regards as marvelous inventions.)

ballistarius and JimmyOz like this.