Oskamp

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Jerry Freedman, Aug 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    I am looking at a Swiss watch marketed in the USA by Oskamp. The dial is marked C. Oskamp,
    Cincinnati. The inside of the front cover has presentation date of 1877 and a makers mark C.O in a small
    rectangle, warranted 18K.

The dust cover is marked as follows: straight line lever, full jeweled, C.Oskamp, Cincinnati. O
    stem winder, chronometer balance, visible pallets, Breguet spiral.

The movement is a beautiful LeLocle style with ruby jewels in raised gold settings. The movement is marked
    fast and slow, adjusted and C.Oskamp,Cincinnati. O. No serial number. It lever set with a sliding lever.

I will try to get pictures later this week.

Jerry Freedman

2. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Hi Jerry,

Clemens Oskamp was a prominent jeweler in Cincinnati. Oskamp seems to be a name which pops up a few times in Cincy business history. I am sure you know about the Oskamp Nolting company which was a very large jeweler and jobber in Cincy which, in the watch world is famous for selling the famous private label Illinois watches marked "Ben Franklin." They also sold a lot of watch cases. I can't positively identify a connection between the Clemens Oskamp Jewelry company and Oskamp Nolting but I know Clemens Oskamp started his company much earlier so it sort of makes sense.

Anyway, my bet is that your watch is a high grade Swiss ebauche that Oskamp ordered as a movement only and cased it in a beautiful American gold case. I will bet that it looks like either a Patek or a Vacheron or perhaps some other famous maker but has no maker identification. It sounds like a very nice watch. I can't wait to see pix.

Keith R... likes this.
  3. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000
    Here are pictures;

I have seen this movement in a watch marked Tiffany. Could this movement have a chronometer escapement?

Jerry Freedman

DSCN2535.JPG DSCN2537.JPG

4. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Looks like a wolf's tooth system on the mainspring and winding gears, but hard to tell given their sizes in the pic. Not used to seeing that in Jurgenson-style movement.

Jess Tauber

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jerry,

Very pretty, but not a detent, just the usual Swiss lever. You can see the pallet jewels in there.

Regards,

Graham

6. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000
    Yes, it does have wolf's teeth winding gears. The type of lever setting is also interesting.

Jerry Freedman

7. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Very high grade watch Jerry. Looks like it is probably a 20 jewel movement. I love it.

8. jess tauber

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm curious about the photo on the dial. I have two movements myself (both small) that have such photos- one of a middle aged woman (presumably a wife, mother, sister, aunt) and the other with an infant (who presumably had no use for timepieces yet). How were these achieved? And when did they drop in and out of popularity?

Jess Tauber

9. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000
    Since the presentation says to my husband, Dec.25, 1877. I surmise it is the wife's picture. The recipient was M. D. Barker.

Jerry Freedman

10. jess tauber

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Perhaps Mrs. Barker was trying to remind hubby to be on time for dinner (and not be tempted by all those other evil women out there)... :)

Jess Tauber

11. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Jess,

This was done by transferring a gelatin emulsion with a photographic image to the dial. It was done with a positive photographic film. It is seen quite a bit on watches from the late part of the 19th and into the early 20th century.

12. jess tauber

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, John, for the explanation. Did this technique render such transferred images less stable to wearing off than the legends and numerals?

Jess Tauber

13. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    These photographs are very delicate and can be damaged. The numerals(and name on dial)
    are baked into the enamel the photograph is on top of the enamel.

Rob

14. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000
    I am still wondering who made the movement. I am also curious about the case maker. The language used to indicate the features
    of the movement seem to be more Swiss than American.

Jerry Freedman

15. jess tauber

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Definitely Swiss. The western part of Switzerland is a French-speaking area, due to a large influx of people escaping from France itself centuries ago after the Knights Templar were massacred by the legal and religious authorities. There might even be some folks who had been Cathars.

Jess Tauber

16. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Liquid photographic emulsion, which was painted on dials, the inside of cases and many other places, was made by a company I worked for up until the 1980s, when it was discontinued. After the emulsion was painted on the object , it was exposed using a regular enlarger and then processed like any other photograph. As was mentioned above these photos are extremely delicate and should be handled with great care. They should never be subjected to contact with any liquid.

John Cote likes this.
  17. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000
    I am updating this thread. I believe the maker is Leon L. Gallet. (12/31/1832 to 1899. He was running the Gallet firm during the 1870s.

Jerry Freedman

18. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Was the same process used for photographs that sometimes appear on cuvettes or inside cases?
    Thanks!
    Pat

19. Jerry Freedman

Sep 16, 2000
    Here is a photo of a signed Leon L Gallet movement. Compare it with my photo of the Oskamp
    movement.

Jerry Freedman

Leon_l_gallet_pocket_watch_movement_1879.jpg