Ornamental turning

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
To repair some decorated pocket watch cases, and to make metal watch dials, ornamental metal turning capability has been considered. For this purpose an old, small (12’’), lathe has been purchased (pictures). Now, more information on this tool is sought. Who made it? (There are not any inscriptions on the tool.) Where information how to use it may be found? The Holtzapffel book on ornamental turning is more than overwhelming. Are there any ‘short-cuts’ available to learn basics of this craft? Some experience with the use of ‘regular’ watch maker’s lathe is already gained.

Attachments

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I'm not sure what the capabilities of that machine are, but some worthwhile CD's that can give you much insight into case making and engine turning can be acquired here:

Click Here

Here is a thread on another site, thatyou might find interesting..

Click Here

Ralph

EmmaR

Jun 29, 2007
www.taswatchhospital.com
Jerzy, A fun machine to work out, and it looks good on the workbench :) no idea who made it, but if it helps any, there is a Good chapter or two in George Daniels book, "Watchmaking" on rose engines and ornametal machines, specifically for watch work. another place is Archie Perkins Lathe book.

*EMMA*

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Ralf,
Thank you for the reference to Matthews’ tapes. I heard before about them, but didn’t know how to order them. The ‘Practical Machinist’ site is news for me. It certainly will help me to learn more on the subject.

‘EMMA’,
I am familiar with Daniels’ and Perkins’ books.

To make possible to identify the discussed lathe I am submitting more pictures. The headstock may work at different angles vs. the bed length. The available split wire chucks are only for diameters 2.5; 3.0; and 5.0 mm. The slide rest has a possibility of using one of two available cutting points. It is possible that some parts of the slide may be missing.

Attachments

Old Codger

Aug 10, 2007
Hi Jerry, i dont want to muddy the waters but why did you pick such a sorry bit of metal to use as a platform for something as intricate as rose turning. Your lathe looks as if it should be in some museum and not the start of some learning curve where thous are needed for success. Dont take offence at my remarks, they are born out from similar false starts when trying to adapt machines, regards OC

Per G

Jan 9, 2007
Jurek,

Ornamental turning, what fun! I have seen a construction serial for a geometrical chuck somewhere. I will have to dig down deep in the attic and see if I can find it.
groups.yahoo.com had four groups on the subject when I searched for ornamental turning.
And yes, Holtzapffel is a good sleeping pill.

Per

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Dear ‘Old Codger’,

Thank you for your comment. I would wholeheartedly support your statements if success would be my main objective. This certainly was a valid objective in my previous professional life. Now, although a success would be welcome, a restoration only of an interesting old tool is sufficiently attractive to me, even if this tool would eventually prove incapable of doing what is intended. In such a case, finding a proper recipient for it (a museum?) would be next task. I cannot play golf any longer, and working on this lathe seems to be more enjoyable than playing bridge.

Best regards.

EmmaR

Jun 29, 2007
www.taswatchhospital.com
today the DVD that Ralph reccomended arrived.

I just watched it though, and its excellent. its well narated, and well produced. the photography is good too. its easy to understand, but could have been a little longer. afterwards, I still have some questions, but they arise from what I have learn from the DVD rather than what I knew before.

I would love to see these machines in real life.

*EMMA*

Old Codger

Aug 10, 2007
Hi Jerzy, a very interesting project, could you keep us up to date with some pictures of the restoration, regards OC

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Old Codger,
Thank you for your interest in the work on the lathe restoration. This is a current progress report: I have cleaned and oiled the tool slide (see picture). The lathe was tested for a short time, but the available small motor proved to be insufficient. I have a stronger one, but need for it a new pulley. There are also some adjustments needed for the headstock.

Attachments

Old Codger

Aug 10, 2007
Hi Jerzy, looking good so far but there are some clues that make me think it could be home made, i am not running the lathe down, i think it looks like a realy good machine and someone long ago has spent a great deal of time on it. I would have thought that the headstock should have been fitted with a tongue or dowells to locate it bang on centre. I have a dividing head which is fitted with a steel tongue, this is a good fit in the T slot of my machines but can be removed when off-setting the head, say for bevel wheels etc. I have never seen a lathe bed with rounded ends such as yours and the headstock end could have been shortened to allow dividing head/plate etc, i also notice what looks like a tide-mark on the lathe bed at the tailstock end, could this be where a tailstock was fitted for many years and is now missing or do you still have the tailstock, i love these puzzles, regards OC ps what are the extra little screws etc for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellywiglesworth10@gmail.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-