Ornamental Novelty Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by sylvester12, Jan 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sylvester12

sylvester12 Registered User

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Picked this little clock up recently one day ornamental novelty clock. I can't find any makers marks on the case, front or back of the movement. It was really tarnished cleaned up nicely. I have some small picture frames in the same style and similar plated metal.

DSC02463.JPG DSC02464.JPG DSC02465.JPG DSC02468.JPG DSC02474.JPG DSC02475.JPG

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Arabic numerals are very interesting, especially the numbers 1, 7, 9 and zero.

Could this have been made for a particular market (middle east or North Africa, perhaps??) or to represent some revival period? I was thinking of Egyptian revival. There were two Egyptian revival periods to my knowledge - around 1880 and in the mid-1920's. The second Egyptian revival period might be plausible.

Needless to say, this is just a wild guess.

Regards.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I don't think that is such a wild guess. The Egyptian revival (both of them) did get reflected in clocks quite a lot. That, combined with the very art nouveau style of the case would fit in nicely with early 1920s.

However, I don't think the clock was made for the Arab market. In that case it would have had the appropriate numerals as we see the on watches made for the middle-eastern market etc..

Just my thoughts.

JTD