• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Origins and destinations

dweiss17

Old Timer
NAWCC Member
Aug 1, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Country
At the present time I am reading a book written in 2002; in one of the chapters is a quote from Ronald Reagan…"In America your origins matter less your destinations."

My parents came from Romania through the aegis of some boyhood friends of my father. He worked all his years in the luggage industry. Never made a lot of money and had nine offspring to feed. My parents had $2000 in the bank. Before his passing they bought a home with the help of two brothers who joined in with about $3500 each. The house cost in those years $9000. When my mother passed away, the brothers shared the house until my younger brother married and took over the house. At that time, my older brother moved in with my sister's family and never married.

My point…destinations matter, not origins. Look at me, nearly 101 years old and I'm just about ready to start my own website because I want to say and write about things that would not be permitted on our NAWCC Member News and Views.

In fact, I am replacing the old computer in the little den with a more modern one like the [tower] that I am using right now in my bedroom. The computer guru should be here early next week to do the set up…at the same time we'll explore the possibility of my starting my own website. In looking at some of these Web companies that advertise to use their services…I do not like the [weasel words] that are printed so light in gray ink that they are hard to read and hard to discern.

These [weasel words] should not be taken too lightly, often; they will lead the user into problems or costs they never envisioned in their enthusiasm to create a personal website. Often, I will get a private email from an NAWCC member with thoughts or wording that would not pass muster on our NAWCC website. Some of these words might not even be permitted on a future possible website of my doing.

In my long lifetime, in my personal thoughts, this little kid who could not say three words without stuttering…has accomplished much by going to destinations far from his origins.

Last edited by a moderator:

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Hi Dan,

I am glad that you considering opening a website to discuss various things that I have no idea of. I wish you much success and would like to be invited to participate.

However having said this, it can be an onerous task. I am a member of the NAWCC site and only one other "friendly" site. If you try and participate in some other sites of even read the comments at the bottom of some of the news blogs / feeds, you will quickly see how horrible, demeaning, repulsive people can be. They quickly turn away from discussing the topic to attacking each other with such vitriol that I would be embarrassed to be associated with the site.

I am not sure how supposedly mature adults, can not have a discussion, share opinions and beliefs without attacking each other personally.

I hope you can find something that will work for you.

David

dweiss17

Old Timer
NAWCC Member
Aug 1, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Country
David:

Thanks for your post. I would not start a website unless I could and would remove any foul language and anyone using such would be barred from participating again...after their first post. I took all that stuff into consideration.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have my Facebook page for Horology, i remove trouble makers, no time for them.

dweiss17

Old Timer
NAWCC Member
Aug 1, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Country
About a week ago I got a bug…wanted my own website!

Applying to a certain company, they wanted $1299.99 to set up a website for me…I was more than flabbergasted, I really was shocked! Why in the world would it cost that kind of money to put some words and a picture or two together? I'm not that stupid that I cannot put a picture and words together and create something that would draw the eye and get responses to the thoughts I put together to form this future website.

Making a long story shorter, I got in touch with a company that would cost to feature my site for two years under $130.00. Sent them what I created and am waiting for them put things together and create the website; in the meantime they already billed my credit card for the sum stipulated. Called my credit company and have 60 days to cancel their fee…should anything go wrong or if they would not live up to what they proposed.

Creating these websites can be a tricky venture if you are not careful in what you are doing in trying to create the web…that hopefully would do what you wished for.

I cannot post anything on our NAWCC Message Board at this time…however, when the site is up and running I will be able to post the website name only once according to our NAWCC rules. No pictures, no nothing, except the website name and address. However, there are other ways to get the website before the public in general. My hope and premise is that this future site would allow others to post pictures and wording…only in good taste…I could delete anything that would not follow the rules proposed by me.

Let's see if this venture becomes a reality. Even at my advanced age you should never stop dreaming the dreams that keep you young, alive and active

Last edited by a moderator:

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Dan I was going to ask how the progress on the site was coming and you beat me to it.

I look forward to your getting it set up and being invited to participate. There are lots of things these days to discuss, and the internet makes it so easy to share words and pictures.

And I agree, with your reduced mobility it is good to have an activity that can keep the brain exercised even if the ol' knees aren't so cooperative.

Keep us posted.

David