• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Original Arbor is Tilted

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I have a HAC movement for a mantle clock. The 5th wheel that drives the flywheel is tilted - and it has the original bushings. It is obvious by sight. Would one try to correct the alignment or just leave as is? It has an adjustable fly bushing location on one plate - which is interesting.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
If it is original, adjust the adjustable bushing as needed for "normal" operation and let it go. Don't try to second guess the maker's design or try to improve on it. Perhaps the hole in the bushing/plate was drilled at an angle or fitted on the loose side to allow for adjustment. Could be opening a can of worms is what I think.

RC

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Yes, I agree. I will keep the bushing locations as they are now. It is just odd to look into the center of the movement and see an arbor not at 90 degrees to the plate. The movement's strike train does work, but it does need many bushings. It is not my clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeszkaGeri91
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-