Origin?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Marie johnson, Feb 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marie johnson

Marie johnson New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I recently acquired a family clock. I have looked and looked but have found zero. It is a round brass galley type clock BUT the face says “the laidlaw-Dunn-Gordon co Cincinnati Ohio”. I can find no matches anywhere. I’d like to know age and value if possible...or some guesses. Ideas?

image.jpg

2. Marie johnson

Marie johnson New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Better picture

image.jpg

3. Levi Hutchins

Levi Hutchins Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    It appears to be a Seth Thomas #10 double mainspring, time-only movement. Someone may be able to identify the vintage, but you'll need to inquire at What is this CLOCK worth? at the bottom of the home page regarding value.

4. Marie johnson

Marie johnson New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you....but it will not let me post since I am a guest. How do you know it is a Seth Thomas? Just by looks? Is there a way to tell the age? There are also faint markings inscribed on the back

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If you can show us a photo of the movement ('the works') we might be able to see a maker's mark. The Laidlaw-Dunn-Gordon company would have had the clock inscribed with their name, either for use in their office(s) or to give to customers.

Under your name it says you are a new member, not a guest. If you are a member, follow the directions on how to use the 'What's this clock worth?' section and you should be able to post.

JTD

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    JTD is referring to this following header to the value forums.

What do you think it's worth?
    These forums provide a place for open discussion of the value of specific items.
    Registered message board users are free to ask questions about and offer personal opinions on the value of specific items in ONLY these 4 forums.
    CLICK HERE to agree to the special Value Forum rules/disclaimers & permission to post .

Specific value questions are NOT permitted in the educational forums!
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: There is no assurance that any opinion on value in these forums is accurate.
    The values discussed here do not represent an appraisal for any purpose, nor does the NAWCC warrant said values in any way.

Note: References and/or Links to active auctions or sales sites will be removed for legal reasons.

7. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What you have is a "boiler room clock". Laidlaw Dunn Gordon was pump and compressor supply company who supplied this clock--they were in business around 1900. They probably sourced the clock from Seth Thomas and had their name applied to the dial. (They did the same thing with pressure gauges.)
    Ray Rice

Marie johnson likes this.
  8. Marie johnson

Marie johnson New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    i am happy to send pictures as soon as I can. I do not have a key to open the clock face but have talked with a local repairman who will help me but not until the middle of the week. Thank you for helping me and being patient with me. I will send pictures as soon as I can.

9. Levi Hutchins

Levi Hutchins Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    You might get an idea as to value by searching "Seth Thomas Ship's Clock" on Ebay, Marie.

You'll find a few very similar to yours.