• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Orient 46940 Date Indicator Driving Wheel: Can It Be Fixed?

everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
Mexico Beach, FL
Country
Region
Here is the problem: As you can see the Date Indicator Driving Wheel(Part # 5100-46940) is in bad shape, but I want to try and repair it. There is a tiny hole at arrow point where a pin sits. I have the pin and can get it into hole, but how to affix it so it will stay is my issue. The 46941 changed this part to the Seiko 7006 style driving wheel, but I haven't tried one from my parts box yet to see if they are interchangeable. As you can see the driving wheel is really worn, so it may be complete trash, but I would like to repair the original part.

Anyone with a suggestion short of super-glue as to how to reattach the pin to the wheel would be appreciated.

Regards,
AL M...

IMG_4587.jpg

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I would punch/drill it out and turn a new tapered pin on the lathe. Friction fit the new pin in the wheel and trim pin to size.

If the hole is a tiny bit too big and you really want to use the original pin, close the hole using a staking set and re-fit the old pin.

Last edited:

everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
Mexico Beach, FL
Country
Region
I would punch/drill it out and turn a new tapered pin on the lathe. Friction fit the new pin in the wheel and trim pin to size.

If the hole is a tiny bit too big and you really want to use the original pin, close the hole using a staking set and re-fit the old pin.
Staking tool is about my skill level. I do not have a lathe. I will try to stake it and see it I can get a friction fit.
Thank you.

Regards.

everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
Mexico Beach, FL
Country
Region
Staking tool is about my skill level. I do not have a lathe. I will try to stake it and see it I can get a friction fit.
Thank you.

Regards.
A reply and update...I tried the staking of the pin back to the date wheel and although it worked, it let go again a couple days later.

I read during research that the Orient 46940 was a clone of a Seiko 7006A so I took the parts from my junk box from a 7006A and they are an exact fit—perfectly interchangeable. Watch is working as designed and once again working a new life.

Any doing research regarding the Orient 46940/46941 for interchangeable parts, find a Seiko 7006A and the parts should work.

Regards.

Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynetx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller