Ordering a second hand

Bob P.

Nov 12, 2008
S.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello all,
This is the first time I've had to order a second hand.
Merritt's and Timesavers list the hand length and mounting
post length and even if the mounting post is slotted, but not
the size of the hole to fit on the seconds bit. Do they go by the
type of clock the hand is listed for, or is there a standard size?

Thanks,
Bob

The Tick Doc

Dec 30, 2007
South east USA
Country
Region
hello Bob. In regard to the id of the pipes , are they too small or too wide? The last one I used did not fit on the seconds post. The hand was not secured to the pipe very well and the pipe was too small. I was able to remove the hand ,chuck the pipe in my lathe , bore it out some and reatach the hand .This worked well fore me, maby this eill help you out some. ... good luck....Keep us informed................TTD

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Yeah, for me replacing a subsidiary seconds hand has always been a crapshoot. I've even bought several in hopes of a near fit. No - as usual, nothing here is standard. Best you can hope for is hole being too small which for me, most often was too large.

Bob P.

Nov 12, 2008
S.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Thanks TTD, The hand is missing. I am able to modify a mounting post as you have done if need be. The seconds bit is .030 and I'd like to avoid getting a post with a hole larger than that. It would just be a little easier
that way.

Bob
-> posts merged by system <-
Thanks Scottie, Your experience is what I thought would happen.
The hands I think I can use are inexpensive enough. I'll buy two or
three different ones and plan on a modification.

Bob

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I've even bought several in hopes of a near fit. No - as usual, nothing here is standard.
Yes, just keep accumulating them ... they're pretty cheap and the bigger the assortment on hand the better the chance of a fit on the next job. :)

Best way I have found to 'shrink' the tube is with a dull pair of big wire nippers. Same ones I use to shrink German minute hand cannons / friction clutch. A dull center punch against a lead block is good too Be sure to do this at about half way the used part of the tube.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harmhero
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-