Order of work

grasshopper

Sep 3, 2013
Wells, ME
Country
Region
I am a relative newbie, but am now bushings clocks. Here is the order in which I work: First, I polish and burnish the pivots, then install the bushings and "then ultrasonic clean the parts"...is this the correct order to do the work or should I be ultrasonic cleaning first, then doing the others.
Thanks in advance

dickstorer

Oct 19, 2010
Hampton, Georgia
Country
Region
How it works for you is the way to go. I usually clean first, then polish pivots and bush. I guess I would rather work on something clean. Then after the bushing I usually clean again. If it works for you----------

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think cleaning first frees up the holes so you can determine what really needs bushings. Dirt packed into a hole could cause you to overlook that it needs a bushing.

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
I always peg all the pivot holes with wood before I clean a clock. Drop a drop of acetone into each hole and peg with a tooth pick till it comes out clean. On most American clocks peg all the oil sinks of dirt and old oil. And all the crack and crevices and clicks and pallets with the same intent.This will loosen the dirt and oil and will come off much easier during cleaning. After bushing I will clean the movement again to remove all the chips and brass particles, left behind from bushing. You may not be able to see all the stuff bushing leaves behind. This important not to have those particles in or around the pivot or oil sink. Just the same as a very clean work area. Anything you have on your bench or rag or gloves will transfer to the movement. I put clocks together wearing cotton gloves. You have acidic acid in your system that will etch the brass with ugly finger prints after time. Some have more than others and this will happen much sooner. Your end results will reflect your work ethics and you can be proud of the results. This is the path I adhere to.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
For me it depends on how dirty the clock is. I usually clean the clock first so I can better see what I have. I don't think it is a good idea to try to polish a dirty or greasy pivot. Once the bushing work is finished and each pair of wheels checked for free turning stc. I then give everything a final cleaning for the reasons stated by R&A. There is no such thing as too clean.

RC

grasshopper

Sep 3, 2013
Wells, ME
Country
Region
Well, it sounds like most people ultrasonic clean, do the necessary work/repairs, then clean again...thanks for the help.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Well, it sounds like most people ultrasonic clean, do the necessary work/repairs, then clean again...thanks for the help.
I think this may have been said or implied, but I would emphasize that the "order of work" and whether one uses an ultrasonic cleaner are two different issues. The US can help do the job faster, and perhaps more thoroughly but can do an acceptable job of cleaning by hand. Either way the movement needs to be disassembled before cleaning, and I would pre-clean before starting repairs and final clean just before assembly.

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Spencer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre