Opinions on reluming trench watches

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by D.th.munroe, Oct 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a few luminous wristlets or trench watches from before 1920 so a much higher radium content than newer ones.
    Two have had the lume safely removed so far and I was just wondering when adding the new lume would you antique or colour it to look older or just leave it looking new?

I did get a lume kit years ago that came with a syringe of brown stuff for that purpose, but it makes the lume look pink.
    Heres one of the cleaned dials and an original untouched watch.
    Thanks Dan

15700105446874752793825223724673.jpg

2. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Heres the before of the black and white dial watch it's an A Michel 10 jewel movement and blued steel case with a maybe a brass or 9k bezel and silveroid back

20190925_220637.jpg 20190925_220919.jpg

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one that I'm going to have serviced and wear while my sub is away for service. I can't decide whether to just leave it lumeless with skeleton hands or painted to match the colour of the old lume. I think I am favouring just removal and leave it without.

4. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I think it depends on the state of the dial and hands. If they are nice I would not hesitate to re-lume as new but, new lume on a worn dial with scratches etc. might look conspicious and odd.....

5. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    This is just a matter of taste for me but that watch would look a lot better without the lume at all. I've de-lumed a few dials that were in a sorry state, with radium lume (breathing protection and catch all the lume particles in a piece of rodico) and they turned out a whole lot nicer afterwards in my opinion. You to run a slight risk of some of the actual dial paint coming with it though so you have to be careful.

I agree with Skutt as well about not making hands on a worn watch look brand spanking new. Just leaving the area in lumed hands empty makes for a rather slim, delicate look I think. I recently spruced up an old Atlantic Milano where the hands were in a sorry state with the lume having aged the laquer on the hands into something resembling rust. The gold plating was still present underneath though. Left the spaces for the lume empty afterwards. Left the whole dial more airy I think.

Restoration is always an issue for debate. Restore to as new? Keep the signs of a long life? Desirable "patina"? Adapt your restoration to match the patina of the watch? For the latter I've seen people use dyes to create the effect of an aged lume in the non-luminous state. When it glows it will always look more or less new.

Regards
    Karl

6. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks all
    I may leave that one blank for now. I have enough of them in varying conditions, I may experiment with some of the white dial ones and see if I can make one look like it's old lume. I'll post pics of them when I do.
    Thanks Dan

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My Waltham military watch had one hand the lume fell out of it, made it difficult to see the time, had the hand relumed and it looked great and not newer either, looked great and a hug improvement to the looks of the watch.