opinions on beginning instructional clock DVD's, please

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by cazboy, May 1, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry if this is an inappropriate board section, but it was either here or in "horological misc." and I thought this might be a little closer to the idea. Moderator, feel free to move this as you see fit.

I've mentioned here before that I'm a clock newbie. A NAWCC member, but I mean a real newbie. But I'm pulling the trigger; I'm eager to learn. I'm putting the final touches on my work area (still need tools and a bench, though).

I am looking for opinions on beginning clock repair DVD's if any of you have had any experience with them. On trusted advice from another message board member, I'm going to start my education with American time/strike movements. Because of that, I would consider a DVD that claims to be aimed at beginners like me, and yet starts off with some other kind of movement like chiming movements, to be kind of inappropriate. I've done some searching on Google, and what I've turned up include:

1. Beginner's Clock Repair DVD Course by this company: http://www.tascione.com/source.htm . I'm a little leery because they say it's easy to learn to repair clocks and watches. I doubt it.

2. ClockClass.com. This is interactive on the computer, and not DVD/video. Sounds interesting, but I wonder how solid a foundation I might get there.

3. DVD's by http://www.ticktockpro.com/ANTIQUE-CLOCK-REPAIR-COURSE.htm .

Has anyone here know if any of the above are any good, or maybe suggest another source? My plan is to do a lot of reading and asking questions (I have a couple of people who can mentor me) and basically use the DVD's as supplemental.

Thanks,
    Doug Haeussler

2. bchaps

bchaps Registered User

Dec 16, 2001
    Mountain Top, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hi Doug...I can't comment on Tascione's or TickTock pro's work, but thye have both been around a while. ClockClass.com is Dave Labounty's program. Dave is an excellent clockmaker and I'm sure a very fine instructor.

My personal suggestion is read some of the beginner books. Absolutely excellent "how to" books are available from Steven Conover. I didn't purchase his beginner level works, but his Striking clock, Chiming clock and Herschede books are excellent. Conover also has a book "Clock Repair Basics" that is available from Supply houses or his websitet...link below

http://www.clockmakersnewsletter.com/books.html

I started learning clock repair with about ten India Manufactured Time/Strike movements that were returns to Merritts. I saw these movements piled in a corner and asked what the price would be...the clerk gave me a price for the entire stack. I still have quite a few if you're interested. The advantage is most of the parts are interchangable and you don't need to worry about damaging an antique clock.

I learned (the hard way) how important it is to let down a spring before removing the pillar post nuts. I learned to disassemble, reassemble two train movements, how to set the levers, how to bush, how to count teeth and determine BPH...and on and on....all on these reproduction movements. Actually, I installed one in a short drop regulator case and it now hangs on my shop wall as a reminder..it is a loud ticker!

So, my recommendation is start with some basic books and basic movements and then fill in your knowledge gaps with specialized video, classes and books. I encourage new people overhaul at least 20 time/strike movements before considering stepping to a three train movement.

Bill

Bill

3. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Doug,

I bought no. 1 when I was beginning and find it to be o.k.

More recently I have purchased several of David Labounty's DVDs. Yes, DVDs are available from his web page. I have been very pleased with them as David is an excellent instructor and master clockmaker. You can choose the titles that suit you and more than likely can request something that isn't yet covered.......(?)

Best Regards,

Richard T.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the Tascione watch repair tapes and i liked them.I have seen preveiws of the clock repair tapes and think they are good.
    Dave Labounty is a good instructor and very knowledgeable person.I think he has excellent teaching skills.
    All good choices and glad to see you Doug going for it.Best of luck.

5. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill,

Hello! I remember e-mails from you a year or so ago. Thanks for responding ... life circumstances prevented me from having enough spare time to pursue anything back then. Happily, things are different now. Thanks for pointing me to the American time/strike movements made in India. I like how you happened to obtain yours in bulk. Also, yesterday I purchased (on advice from Tony Ambruso) two books by Philip Balcomb, and some Conover books are next. But I also purchased TWO sets of instructional DVD's. One from TickTockPro.com and another from Tascione.com.

Richard and Kevin,

Thanks to you both for your comments! I didn't know Mr. LaBounty had any DVD's on his website. I may have to invest in his instructional DVD's as well.

...Doug

6. buck

buck Registered User

Jan 27, 2006
    I bought the tictocpro DVD, and it was just OK. I believe it shows using sandpaper to polish pivots, which I am not a big fan of, but that is a whole other debate!

I have also checked out a number of videos from the NAWCC lending library. The production quality is highly variable, but you cannot beat the price. They also have videos on narrow aspects of repair, like repivoting or wheel tooth replacement, that may not be covered in a general video.

I noted this on another recent post, but I'll repeat here. smartflix.com has a number of clock repair vidoes for rent - it is like netflix, but focuses on DIY/instructional vidoes. I believe they have the tictocpro video series. At least you can rent it to see if you like it before buying.

Lastly, if the field suitcase F101 class comes around in your area, take it. It was outstanding.

7. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, I now have on order two books by Philip Balcomb (The Clock Repair Primer & The Clock Repair First Reader), and DVD sets from THREE different sources: TickTockPro.com, Tascione.com, and David LaBounty. The DVD's from the first two are their beginner's offerings, but Mr. LaBounty has so many DVD's on specific topics that all sound interesting to me that it took me a while to choose. In the end, I chose "American Strike Levers", "Tools", "Bushings", "Repairing Damaged Teeth", and "Replacing a Pivot".

It's only been a few days since I ordered everything and so far the DVD's from TickTockPro.com and Mr. LaBounty have arrived.

I'm not expecting any one source to be the end-all-be-all. I know from my career as a printing press operator that any one person or source may provide an interesting take on an aspect of the trade (in my case, operating and maintaining Heidelberg printing presses) and over a lifetime career I ended up assimilating what I felt was the best of many influences. Similarly, I am finally at a place in my life where I have the desire, time and resources to pursue horology.

...Doug

8. terofpa

terofpa Registered User

Dec 20, 2006
    Lavelle, Pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug,

Since you are a member you should check out the video's from the lending library before you buy anything. They have many good videos on different subjects. I tried to find a list of the titles available but didn't find anything. I know a list is always printed in the mart but since your a new member you may not have a copy yet.

ter

9. buck

buck Registered User

Jan 27, 2006
    You can print out the video list from this web site. Click on the library tab at the top of the screen, and then click on "Video Programs" on the left on the libray main page. Scroll to the bottom of the page and there will be a link to click to get the list.

10. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Ter and Buck,

I've already bought and received some beginning materials as I described in a previous post. That should keep me busy for a while! But SmartFlix.com looks really interesting too.

...Doug

11. Arthur Cagle

Arthur Cagle Registered User

May 22, 2003
    Male
    Retired
    Greater Baton Rouge Area, Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave Labounty or any one else, what is the Labounty website address? :???:Thanks!

12. Steve Patton

Steve Patton Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Male
    Telecommunications - Retired
    Evansville, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Arthur,

Here
    ya go.

I've got several and they are very precise to the subject.
    Great addition to the written word.

13. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think David usually has a link to his website when he posts anything.He has a great website by the way. :thumb:

14. rogersrr

rogersrr Registered User

May 19, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I am a total beginner and purchased the Tick Tock Pro beginners series. I was very happy with the content. Lots of good ideas for tooling up and easy to understand and pause as you go through. The library is also a very good suggestion.