OpenOffice clock dial templates for Clear Water Slide Decal Paper

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by dorsetman, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dorsetman

dorsetman Registered User

Jan 8, 2016
    retired
    Wimborne Minster
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I want to laser print on to water slide paper a clock dial. I can try to create my own using OpenOffice DRAWING program but its tedious work. I am a little surprised that I cannot find for free existing DRAWING templates on the net. So can anyone advise where free templates might be are that are compatible with OpenOffice DRAW and which are editable. I don't feel like paying thirty bucks that Shutterstock ask for despite initially being advertised for free.:?|

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

i'm not familiar with openoffice draw, but have seen many tutorials for creating clock dial art on youtube for photoshop and illustrator, with illustrator (i.e., vector-based graphics) being the preferred choice.

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may have better luck finding some nice ones for free if you join Pintrest. It is a place that people share a lot of art and other graphics, but you often have to be a member to download other's work. You might also check with Shutterfly regarding laser printing on photo quality paper. They also will print your art onto glass now so you can make high quality painted tablet glass.

4. dorsetman

dorsetman Registered User

Jan 8, 2016
    retired
    Wimborne Minster
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hmm... i don't really like those canned dial graphics myself, but i'm a photoshop guy and prefer to roll my own.

here's the artwork i mocked up for an older gentleman i know in sacramento who hand-paints dials... the ghosted rings match engraved rings on the 8" pendulum bob that came from an auto-wind clock. i've included the finished result, as well, which was painted directly into the dial pan. the hands have been swapped out multiple times... these were first-pass.

good luck with your project!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Smike,

Quite impressive work! :clap: While I have a copy of Photoshop, the ins and outs of the program have always eluded me. One day, I'll buckle down and watch a few "how-to" videos on YouTube. I'd LOVE to be able to recreate my own clock dials like you can!

Best,

George

7. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    credit where credit is due... i visualized (and mocked up) the design, but ben beede of sacramento painted the dial and made it real.

i really should have done the initial work in illustrator, but illustrator scares me! :cool:

photoshop is a an amazing and powerful tool. if you don't have a recent copy, you can try 'gimp', which is essentially an open source version that works on all platforms. i don't know that the keyboard shortcuts match across the board, but all of the programs are all about the math... and all of that math has long been figured out.

thx, though, for the compliment. :cool:

8. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the heads up about GIMP. Does Mr Beede accept work requests from other folks as well, or is he just a friend that you call on? I need faces restored or created from time to time.

thanks

9. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ben and his wife paint dials. He is very old-school and does not have email… I call him and then send written instructions by snail mail. I will PM you his contact information.