Opening a Pobeda ZIM 2602

grsnovi

Apr 24, 2022
Country
This guy arrived from Ukraine after a long journey. It's not clear to me (have never actually opened a watch other than to replace a battery in a quartz) all I've done so far is work on movements. I see no separate bezel so I don't think it's a front-loader. I see no indentation along the case back for a case knife. Attacking it with a rubber ball doesn't move anything. Any ideas?

cb2.jpg cb3.jpg pobeda.jpg

grsnovi

Apr 24, 2022
Country
My case knife popped that sucker open like an oyster! Does anyone read Russian?

caseback writing.jpg guts3.jpg

everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
Mexico Beach, FL
Country
Region
My case knife popped that sucker open like an oyster! Does anyone read Russian?

View attachment 714480 View attachment 714481
I can't even read the scratches that are written in English. Glad you got it open. I'm sure many here may disagree but case backs can bee an issue for the small knife like openers. Many years ago I bough a wood workers chisel and started using it for these cases. They are very sharp, made of hardened steel and give a great grip while using. I have never damaged a case with my chisel.

Regards

chisel.jpg

Last edited:

everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
Mexico Beach, FL
Country
Region
I think the scratches are all Russian.
Glad that your chisel works for you, truth be told it looks like overkill and it would scare me.
I just used one of these:
View attachment 714785
If you ever have access to a sharp chisel and an old snap-back watch give it a try. Thee knife like openers like you pictured simply leaves marks when I use them, but happy it works for you.
Regards.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
If you ever have access to a sharp chisel and an old snap-back watch give it a try. Thee knife like openers like you pictured simply leaves marks when I use them, but happy it works for you.
Regards.
I've never used a chisel but agree that the standard case opening knife is often too blunt to effectively enter the gap and so there's a chance of marring and still not getting the back open. I have intended to sharpen a standard case opening knife to see if it helps with a thinner edge but have never got round to it. It really annoys me when I see beautiful movements scuffed by clumsy efforts to open the case and that's on top of case damage.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
My watch case opener additionally has a normal blade, which is useful in all cases, where the case knife is too blunt. And that normal blade is really sharp (do not ask how I know, bloody story)

opener.jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I have been known to 'butcher' such knives by filing the end off the blade so that it can also open the types that require a flat end like a screwdriver.

P7014987.JPG
I suppose it is amazing that such knives can handle all the abuse of decades of constant use for everything from a case opener to a chisel.

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellen Raynsford
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-