• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Open escapement with loose jewel

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Please see my last post in this thread and help me out! How do you remount one of these??
old ref::Click here.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Please see my last post in this thread and help me out! How do you remount one of these??
old ref::Click here.

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
Not a major problem Shutty.Those jewels are held in with Shellac.If you still have the existing Shellac in your mounting hole just take an Alcohol lamp or something low heat of that nature and warm the Shellac up to make it pliable.It doesn't require a great deal of heat.After your Shellac becomes pliable just insert your pallet in the mounting hole and adjust it.What you are shooting for is to have the flat side of the pallet on a direct plane intersecting with the escape wheel hole or pivot.In other words if you were able to place a ruler across the flat of your stone it would intersect the very center of the escape wheel pivot hole located at the bottom of the ornamental yoke.You will also want your pallet to be dead straight from all views,in other words 90 degrees off the yoke.You may ocassionally have to reheat your pallet area to facilitate adjusting the stone,that's not unusual.One thing I do after using an alcohol lamp for the primary setting of my pallet stone is to mount it on the dial face in the proper position and then use a small electric Radio Shack type soldering iron to reheat my insert area.That way I can make my final adjustments with the yoke in place and I don't have to keep removing it for each adjustment.Anyway that's the way I approach it.If you need Shellac you can purchase stick Shellac from any of the supply houses.Just scrape off a minute amount with a razor knife and put a small amount on the underside of your hole and run it across an alcohol lamp and it will flow right out.It doesn't take much.A couple of flakes are plenty.
If your jewel is missing you can purchase replacements from the supply houses.I usually just make my own out of pivot stock if the owner doesn't have a problem going from a jewelled pallet to a steel pallet.I just replace the remaining pallet if any and put two steel pallets in their place.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hey, thanks very much Bob! What a great explanation. I saved a copy for my permanant file!

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
You're welcome Shutty.I hope this helped you.If I can answer any more questions about your situation just ask.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent