Open Closing case Waltham 1885 key wind Waltham pocket watch

iamweiss

Jul 26, 2022
Country
I've read Singer's article on Opening Pocket Watches. I was curious about my watch so I needed to obtain its serial number. This article described the "butter knife" (my appellation) technique which worked well for me. However, I am having a problem closing it up. I have held the watch in my hand and pressing on the stem the inner cover just doesn't seem to fit as I try to close the inner cover. It doesn't fit tightly as I can easily open it. Don't want to force it. I'd appreciate any ideas about this.

Martin Weiss

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Photos help

Moving to watch repair section.

Rob

iamweiss

Jul 26, 2022
Country
the inner cover should just snap shut. The outer cover is held by the catch that’s operated by the crown button. Peter
Peter

Thank you I have been trying to get the covers to engage as you suggest but neither of the covers are engaging. I have had the watch for a short time, about two months, and have not had to open the inner cover except when I discovered the Waltham archives and needed this watch's serial number. Winding the watch and setting the time did not require opening the inner rear case cover.
I am away from home for a while and will try again what you are suggesting when I return. However, since I have tried these I am not sure what the next steps entail. It appears to me some thing has become mis aligned but can't image what or how.

Martin

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It appears to me that the inner back cover does not have a joint so that it may be opened, i.e. it is solid with the body. If you have examined the movement, you likely swung the movement with its mounting ring up out of the case to see the back of the movement.

I do not see any problem with closing the back except the latch may be a bit stiff and you will need to push on the crown and push down the back to get it to catch.

As for the front and the movement, those can be a little tricky. The stemwinding version of this movement requires the stem to be pulled up so the swing ring with the movement does not get jammed by the winding stem, but on this watch you should only need to press the brass (or nickel) edge of the ring to ensure it is flush with the body before you close the front. The button in the crown does nothing to the front cover, only the back one.

If you have never looked at the back of the movement, there should be a small oval notch near the stem, where you can use the butter knife to release the movement and swing it out. It is usually a tight fit between the movement ring and the case body.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I am thinking the same ting as Tom McIntyre.

Have you actually managed to open the "inner back" lid?
Could you post a few more pictures? One with the front bezel removed and (if it opened) one with the "inner back" lid open.

When you opened the (outer) back lid did you press the knob on the top of the pendant (and if so did the back lid swing open) OR did you prey it open with a case knife?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent