Oops, I did it again. But what is this "IT"? Bulo-velle?

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Greetings folks,
I can't help myself these days, I just seem to be a glutton for punishment, providing it comes at the right price. Last week I bought another little Bulova/Caravelle ladies watch from what I think is the seventies. Despite being marked Caravelle on dial, the case and movement are marked "Bulova". As I disassembled it for cleaning, I got worried when I saw these rather unique springs. But they actually ended up being very simple to deal with. Overall I was impressed with how well thought out the design was for serviceability.

The movement looks like baguette style bridges set on a round pillar plate. It's the first I've seen like it. I did, however, find a few of them being sold as bare naked movements. What I'm most unsure of is the caliber of the movement. There is a number on the bridge. At first I thought it was a serial number, but after looking at others I realized that it may be a caliber number. That said, I don't see any caliber number under Bulova on Dr. Ranfft's site that resembles it. 102030 is what it looks like. I'm going on the image that I'll attach, as the movement is running and in the case now. Most similar movements I find are marked "Caravelle" rather than Bulova, FWIW.

Does anyone recognize this little 6 3/4 ligne hybrid (round/baguette) movement? I'm just curious, as I don't need parts for it now. It went together pretty well, all told. Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.

2nd image is just to show what I meant by "unique" spring.

52E08015-0B9F-4A5A-BF79-4DE19BF3559B.jpeg 5F54B7E8-A706-4A26-85E6-AEE2180C241E.jpeg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
The click spring and the general looks put it to my mind in the ST group. ie; The Ebauches SA group put out ST versions of FHF and other movements. The ST stood for Standard. This movement appears to not be listed on Dr Ranfft's site. Do you have an image of the dial side?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
ETA looks to have had a big hand in it but I'm still having trouble remembering the original base caliber. I'd say that this watch was made between late 70's to late 80's. Though likely derived from an earlier caliber.

I've had a devil of a time scanning bridge plates, wheel layouts, pallet cocks of movements I've seen. There is something very familiar about this movement but somehow, it doesn't fit the size or the base round shape.

Last edited:

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Thanks, roughbarked. Yes, they seem to be real oddballs. From what I've seen, there are a lot more floating around out there that have the movements marked Caravelle than Bulova, FWIW.

That's interesting what you say about the manufacture date. I'd have thought it was earlier, based on style, but the way the stem releases via a spring-loaded button, backed by an added arm on the set-bridge, seems a bit more modern. I think I have only seen this release mechanism on quartz movements. Cheers.

BTW, little bugger's running fast and a de-mag didn't set things right. I guess I'll ask the ensuing question under the "Repair" topic. Thanks again. Cheers.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Thanks, roughbarked. Yes, they seem to be real oddballs. From what I've seen, there are a lot more floating around out there that have the movements marked Caravelle than Bulova, FWIW.

That's interesting what you say about the manufacture date. I'd have thought it was earlier, based on style, but the way the stem releases via a spring-loaded button, backed by an added arm on the set-bridge, seems a bit more modern. I think I have only seen this release mechanism on quartz movements. Cheers.

BTW, little bugger's running fast and a de-mag didn't set things right. I guess I'll ask the ensuing question under the "Repair" topic. Thanks again. Cheers.
As I tried to say, it looks to be from an older design but remanufactured to suit with modern manufacturing techniques of which the click spring and the coverplate/setting spring are indicators.

I can't rule out FHF because there are so many similarities but I'd need to go look through old movements to put this one back together in my head. Neither can I rule out Tissot or Lanco.. something is rolling around in the back of my head.
Hairsprings are difficult to de-mag and it isn't always magnetism. It can often be oils.

Reactions: MrRoundel

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I cleaned the balance by keeping it attached to the pillar plate but with the jewels removed from both sides. I used pretty fresh (Perhaps 3rd movement cleaned in it, all small, nothing filthy.) L&R ultrasonic solutions. For reasons of fiddly (Borrowed term from Kalle at Chronoglide.) handling, I didn't remove the balance to dip in One-dip. Perhaps that's what I'll end up doing. Is it possible that there is something oily in the solution that doesn't effect the looks of plates, etc., but can cause the coils to stick? Thanks for your input, roughbarked.

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
If the hairspring is magnetic and you haven't been able to demagnetize it, then you'll likely have to remove the balance from the cock to demagnetize it.

As to the caliber, closest I can get so far, is to a reversed and re-engineered
AS 969, 981: manual wind, 18000A/h, 6.75'''
973 : manual wind, 21600A/h, 6.75'''

It is not such a big leap to the single plate and the push type set lever however, the pallet cock keeps tossing all my thoughts out the window.

Last edited:

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Thanks, roughbarked. My Timegrapher app picked up the watch being 21,600 A/h (I referred to it as BPH in my related post in Watch Repair.), and it is a 6.75 ligne movement, so I'll give the AS973 a look.

Oh, and you nailed the reason for the fast-running. I was able to dip the balance in OneDip, drop the assembly to the bottom of the jar, retrieve it, free the coil that got caught over the top of the stud screw without destroying anything, re-oil jewels, and replace. I used both the HR shock spring tools that I picked up last month and the Kif tools that Jerry T. has loaned me. I don't mind those Kif Triors much at all. 370 maybe?

The watch is now keeping decent time (-7 seconds per day), with good amplitude, and with a small beat error. Considering it was just a "play with" watch that I might sell for little money around Xmas time once I put a new crystal in it, it's a wrap. Thanks for all of your help. If any other maker and caliber come to your mind, I'd be very interested in knowing of it. Cheers.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
This will probably be my last post on this little "Bulovelle"...unless roughbarked comes up with a more definitive caliber. ;)

But seriously, ain't they a cute pair?

3DDDCCE4-A0A8-410A-A6F7-503DD1D1CB9A.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodrigo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-