One Weight Regulator Identification Help

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by beedub, Jun 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Good evening,
    My newest clock is this oak one weight regulator. I could find no makers marks or numbers so I am asking if anyone can help name and date this one. On the back were two small hand carved dates from May of 1889 so maybe it is from that era. The movement mounts are smooth posts so hopefully that is a help to id. I have not seen similar ones on my other regulators. I really like the simple lines and the topper is fixed so it cannot be lost and there are no finials to loose either. The hands are quite plain, could they be original? It seems to be in good shape, runs very well and was very inexpensive. Very happy with it. Thank you for any information.

IMG_2754.JPG IMG_2763.JPG IMG_2740.JPG IMG_2731.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2734.JPG

2. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    #2 Tatyana, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The mounting system is unusual.
    Ron

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think the hands might not be original, although they do not look too out of place, but I would have expected a decorative pierced hand.
    It may be just the angle that the photo is taken, but the minute hand does look a little bit too long, but that may be an optical illusion.

It's a very nice clock, I like it. Congratulations!

JTD

5. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps the hands'looked something like this originally.
    Ron

RS Miniature VR_42.jpg

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, indeed, or perhaps like the hands shown in Tatyana's post (post #2). Both of these styles are more what I would have expected for this clock.

JTD

7. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello, these come up for sale fairly frequently. And the hands are original. If Chronologiker said they date from the 1920s, the simple style of the hands makes sense. I have seen these clocks described as "post office clocks". Or, they were perhaps used in some sort of public capacity- which would also explain the simple hands. I suppose you can imagine these clock's equivalents in the USA were the Seth Thomas #2 Regulators.

8. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This Wilhelm Bauer post office clock looks very much like yours. Notice the hands.

Ron

RS Wilhelm Bauer.jpg

9. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Thank you all for your replies. It does have the same mounting system as the M&P clock that Tatyana posted but appears to be exactly the Wilhelm Bauer post office clock that Ron posted. So I am still a little unsure. I looked closer at the hands and was thinking JTD was right about them being a little long but then so were the hands on the Bauer clock. Chris mentioned the 1920s but the hand carved date of 5/89 on the back of mine makes me wonder. I suppose it could also be 1989 not 1889. Well I thank you all again and I will enjoy it no matter what it is or how old. It looks good and sounds fine - being a time only, it made it into the bedroom near me and it is ticking away right now.

10. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Using the "post office clock" hint from Ron, I have found several others exactly like mine including a posting here on the forum a few years ago by Tarant and some foreign sites as well as a clock pricing site. Everything convinces me that it is a Wilhelm Bauer as Ron showed above and from about 1890 or so. Maybe the '89 date someone carved on the back is 1889 after all. Also the same hands show up on all of them so they seem very likely to be original to the clock. Happy to know about this one and even more happy to have it in the family. Thank you all again for your help.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.