ONE revolution per year quartz mechanism

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by blob, Sep 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. blob

blob New Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear members,
    I am about to build a clock but could not find what I needed so registered here to try to find help from professionals. I searched all over the internet but could not find a battery operated quartz mechanism that would give me ONE revolution per year. Can anyone give me a link where to find these, for example ebay?

I hope someone knows about these mechanisms. Thank you very much for reading this ;)

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i think of quartz movements as mass-produced in china, for as cheap as possible. yes, there are pricier more-featured ones, but i have to believe that everyone is going to make the same beast... ticks every second... because that's what people want/need.

why would you want one revolution per year?

3. blob

blob New Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your answer and yes, I noticed all these mechanisms are similar and for sure produced in mass at some factories in China. I would like to build a year 'event' clock.

4. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    got it... but more information would be helpful.

- what is a one year 'event' clock?

- if you could buy the movement you're looking for, all you would be doing is putting hands on it... as it's already built... yes?

still confused.

5. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think you will find a 1 rev per year off the shelf quartz movement mechanism. But, that said a gear train could be built and powered by a quartz movement that would make 1 rev per year. It has been done with spring or weight drive movements some fair number of times over the last 200-300 years.

6. blob

blob New Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    An event could be an anniversary coming up during the year or national holiday or sport event.
    I design and build the clock but not the mechanism.

7. blob

blob New Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes true, I calculated the gears I would have to cut and might try this if a quartz mechanism is not being produced.
    Thanks for your reply ;)

8. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes... but... your way means that you'd have to have a separate clock for every event.

if you used a regular movement (for example) you could 1) find one, and 2) create a method for setting multiple event alarms, all triggering a year apart.

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It's called a cell phone ... no need to reinvent something that already exists in a highly refined state. It will even remind you before "the event", short reminders, long reminders, multiple reminders,
    E-mail you, message or call you at another number, etc.
    Willie X

10. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    willie is correct, except for the part about creating mechanical gearing... although the details of blob's vision are still a little unclear as of yet.

i was envisioning something like a james remind-o-timer (inherited my dad's)... see this thread: James "Remind O Timer"

you can set multiple alarms during a 12 hour period... could be extrapolated mechanically to do the same over a year, yes?

11. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you going to account for Leap Years with the 100/400 year exceptions? That would be an interesting challenge to accomplish through gearing. :eek:

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One can only hope that the battery will last that long. Mechanically, the quartz movement should have no issues...:D

Uhralt

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Napier, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    It would require some pretty good gear cutting to ensure that the slack in multiple gears didn't take 3 weeks to tighten up before getting the final output shaft under way.
    If you wanted to change and go with mains power the people at Geochron could help you out with a suitably geared down motor as the one in my Geochron takes a year to go through a season cycle.