One of those days...

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by etmb61, Nov 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you're working on your research computer and you get that cryptic warning that the hard disk is about to fail. Stop everything and back it up NOW! :eek::mad::oops::(:banghead:

Eric

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Then you discover the operating system you purchased and have used for years is a pirated copy.:banghead:

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So sorry to hear your experiences. Unfortunately, I think many of us have been in similar situations. I'm also taking your message as a reminder to save often - and if the doc is vital and isn't too large, email it to yourself or save to a flash drive at the end of the day.

etmb61 likes this.
  4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes! Backup important stuff often!

I managed to recover all my data files, but the operating system and most of the programs I've been using , because I really liked the way almost intuitive they worked together, are all obsolete and/or no longer available or supported. That loss of functionality will be difficult to recover from.

5. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I only ever backup data files - the automatic recovery system also backs up system software, but since it will often be the system software which will fail, I consider that a wasteful and potentially self-defeating process.

I try to remember to back up data files every week (to an external hard disk) but even then I am aware that Murphy's Law dictates that the crash will occur after I have carried out a series of important data updates and just before I take a security copy :excited: That will mean that I need to remember exactly what changes I have made since the last update and that I will then need to replicate all of those changes. I think that carries a likelihood of achievement of about 1% ... but what can I do?

6. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use a chromebook now, every keystroke is backed up. I decided if Google goes down we all go down with it.

7. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't had a computer since the early 2000s... The kids do, but I don't use it or even look at it... they also have Chromebooks for school.

I actually bought a Chromebook for myself a few months ago, because I liked the one that child #1 had.. and I have to say it is absolutely great. Like novicetimekeeper said... It backs up everything, instantly, and has seemingly unlimited storage on this "drive" thing. I bought it because It was supposed to work like my phone. It does too, I can bounce everything I'm working on between the two devices.

Keep in mind however... I am not a very fluent in computers. My amazement in these devices is most likely from skipping many generations of technological advancements, haha!

8. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad you got your data back. I had one of those days a few months ago.
    I failed to backup my smartphone and lost at least 200 before and after photos of clocks and watches I had repaired or restored in the last year and even though they were all on the sd card, nothing will read the sd card now.

9. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I knew I had problems, even had a replacement drive, just never got around to changing it out. Now I have no choice.

Thankfully I saved all my work, but it was a very close call. Yesterday I put the drive back in to make one last ditch effort to clone it and it burned up, so I guess I dodged a bullet. Never seen one do that before.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I subscribe to Carbonite. It backs up my important stuff and even pictures in the back ground while I work, and keeps them safe in the cloud. Its worth the money to me.