One of my favorite Rolex watches

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Dave Haynes, Feb 19, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Steve: A real rare beauty! I had a nice bubbleback (no hooded lugs) two tone with original black dial just like yours only s.s.
    bought a new Swiss oyster band for it and wore it for many years. A watchmaker told me that I would wreck it by riding my Harley
    (the vibration would kill it) I believed him and sold the whole thing for $550. What a fool I was. Getting harder to find parts for
    the older Rolex autos.

2. Cary

Cary Guest

I think I remember when you got it... Or decided to try and find out the info on the band.. Was it about 2 years ago.. It seems everyone went nice watch, ya, ya, ya, except for DON, who went nutty over it..

Love it...

Cary

Have you shown it to James Dowling..What did he say about it.. I like it when he gets excited..

3. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Was great to see the pic of your watch. What really astounded me is that I have one of those, only mine has the silvered dial. In 1987, a jeweler friend of mine gave me a jewelers watch box with a watch disassembled in it. He said, "here,take this and have some fun with it". I took it home and set it on the shelf. About a month later, I began looking at it and discovered it was a Rolex. I put it together, and found it was all there except for the balance staff. When looking for a staff, I was told that there is no such thing as a factory staff for a bubbleback. As I don't have the capability to cut a staff, I sent it away and had it done. Mine has the complete SN between the lugs--SN 341,859. Mine is the same 18J movement as yours and is marked chronometer. I always liked the watch and have worn it off and on since I got it repaired. I just didn't realize that it was so rare. My only investment in it so far is the $165 that I spent to have it staffed.

I know no other history on my watch. When I found out what it was, I went back to my jeweler friend, and told him. He said that he knew what it was, and that many years ago, a customer had brought it in to be staffed. When told what it would cost, the customer told him to keep the watch. It had been sitting in his store for about 30 years in unassembled condition. Tom