one minute impulse device

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by paradise, Jun 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I rigged up a device which moves the winding ratchet one tooth a minute. I replaced the original 59 tooth wheel with a 60 tooth wheel to avoid over winding. I ran it a few days and its working fine but I am afraid to just let it go so I stopped it. I cant tell from looking at the spring if it is more or less wound than when started. The way I figure it if the winding impulse is once each minute and the winding wheel has 60 teeth the spring should stay at the same place all the time and not overwind which it would do with a 59 tooth wheel.
    I would like to get some other opinions on this.
    Thanks.........paradise

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What kind of clock are you working on? IBM masters will only be allowed to wind so far (not overwound) before the winding is interrupted by spring pressure stopping it. In normal operation, the 59 tooth wheel allows the clock to come to full wind after a power outage.

3. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    The impulse is provided by a synchronous 1 rpm motor with an arm moving the winding ratchet. The springs have been removed as they weren't necessary so there is no way to stop the motor. The clock is an IBM 60 beat master clock with mercury pendulum.

4. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What springs have been removed because they were not necessary? The clock was designed correctly by IBM. It didn't involve stopping the motor.

5. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    The coils are out as well as the lever arm that pulls on the winding ratchet. In the place is the 1 rpm motor, which should run all the time, moves a lever that moves the winding ratchet one tooth. Its just something I rigged up. The only reason it stopped is that I turned it off to avoid damage till I could learn a little more. The clock itself was not modified and can be returned to original easily. In the meantime its working fine and noiselessly which was the main reason for doing it. As I said the problem is that I don't know if it will overwind or not. I guess the only thing to do is just let it go and see what happens, so far its run 2 days before I turned off the motor. If it does overwind I think the damage will be to the 1 rpm motor, not the clock. I just put this out there to see if anyone has had experience with this and could advise me.
    Thanks.......Paradise

6. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "lever that moves the winding ratchet one tooth" needs to be controlled so that it can only move the wind ratchet so far before it is disabled by the spring pressure, as it was originally. Post a few pictures of your Rube Goldberg device.
    There was a bill of material to convert these clocks to motor wind, but it didn't involve changing the ratchet wheel tooth count.

7. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I have seen that, I know what you are talking about. That is still involving the wheel to be spring loaded as you say to act as a limiter and I have no doubt that IBM is a lot more qualified for this than I am so it puts my gimmick into the Rube Goldberg category as you say and I agree but I have some spare parts so I think I will give it a try and hope that changing the tooth count will have a positive effect. Keep an eye out here I will post a picture but it may take me a few days to get a camera, clock and computer in the same place. I would ask that you keep in mind that the pictures will show a mock up and not a final product.
    paradise

8. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Keep in mind what will happen if the clock for some reason stops while the motor continues winding the clock. These mainsprings are not easy to find if you break one.

9. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I know: some years ago I found a company in Germany that had the right size for the invar/mercury pendulums, yellow dot. I bought four but I guess I should have gotten more. I have tried to find them a dozen times since to no avail. Pictures coming as soon as I get a chance.
    paradise