One-hand clocks with 5 minute increments.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Chris Radano, Nov 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lately I've seen photos of some 18th century one-handed clocks, showing 5 minute increments between the numerals on the chapter ring. Most of them were French Comtoise clocks, but one was a later 18th century one-hand English lantern clock. Conversely, I've also seen one or two clocks that were 2-handed, that had 4 minute increments engraved between the numerals on the chapter ring. In all instances, I could not discern that the dials were not original.

When I think about it, none of these examples should necessarily be seen as incorrect. Although the quarter 5-minute intervals have been outdated for a long time. Correct me if I'm misguided.

Has anybody seen clocks that have these characteristics? Maybe somebody has photos, or examples they would be able to post.

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The best resolution I have seen is 5 minutes on a single hander. This was achieved with inner and outer divisions on the chapter ring, and presumably a long pointer that went across both. It was just the chapter ring, and I was the underbidder, so sadly I have no pics, but you could see from the design that the only way it would work would be a hand with a long pointer to do both inner and outer registers. It was a mid 18th century clock I think.

3. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty standard to have single handed clocks with minute divisions although often 4 divisions on early German clocks. These clocks often have two dials, the lower one indicating the quarters.

Turmuhr-punchmark-HK-207a-detail-wijzerplaat.jpg 95_44286_4.jpg

Chris Radano likes this.
  4. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those are 15 minute divisions aren't they? I've never seen a single hander with 1 minute resolution on the dial, unless the dial was a large diameter it would be very difficult to read.

5. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yeah they are quarter hour divisions in keeping with the secondary quarter dial below. Rereading the original question I’m not sure exactly what the question was?

6. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought we were discussing the different resolution of single handers. I was thinking about it and the best I have seen was 3 minutes.

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't recall seeing anything other than 15 minute (quarter hour divisions) on the inside of the chapter ring on a single handed clock.

Just for interest I have seen quarter minute divisions in addition to minutes on the outside of the chapter ring on a two handed clock.

8. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some different minute markers...with quarters in between

twohands2.PNG twohands4.PNG twohands3.PNG

Chris Radano likes this.
  9. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what's in the window on the first one?

10. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Think its a moon dial. The second one has minutes every third. They all have quarters around the outside even with the minutes.

11. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The photos are small, but those clocks are ancient. In the old days, perhaps by the time someone figured out what time it was, a few minutes went by and the had already forgot their first reading :?|

In the Renaissance, if you asked a simple question like, "What time is it?", you would get a couple paragraphs in response.

Must have been even more confusing for those in Northern latitudes, with minimum sunlights in the Winter, and long days of sunlight in the Summer.

I think my original intent was to try to discern the originality of clock dials of one-handed clocks. Maybe some one-handers had more or less than 4 increments engraved between the numerals?

12. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yes, some of them did. Mostly I have seen it as a second ring of divisions, I think that makes reading it easier.