One Day HAC Clock

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
I have stripped cleaned oiled this one day clock, the problem i am having is when i turn the adjuster at the rear of the clock it is tight to turn though it does move it is binding somewhere, the clock is beating fine but running slow, any ideas please IMG_20201127_143719658_HDR.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
What adjuster do you mean? The hand setting knob, or something else? A pic of that part might help us. If the hands turn too hard, it's probably in the center shaft or a tension spring under one of the front plate gears.

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
What adjuster do you mean? The hand setting knob, or something else? A pic of that part might help us. If the hands turn too hard, it's probably in the center shaft or a tension spring under one of the front plate gears.
Sorry shutterbug should have marked it yes the one for the hands so it looks i am going to have to strip it down and look at the center shaft there is no tension spring when i stripped it down

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
I am trying to understand how this centre shaft works when i turn the hand knob to the right time it is very tight though the hands move, so if the centre wheel engages with the lower wheel with the spring, IMG_20201128_100212330_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20201128_100233264_HDR[1].jpg how does the knob for the hands turn more freely

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yeah, it has to have some way to provide tension. Maybe a spring inside the plates. It doesn't look like it would have tension applied by crimping on that type, but anything is possible. Let us see the center shaft when you get it out. It could just be a sticky gear on the turn knob too.

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
Yeah, it has to have some way to provide tension. Maybe a spring inside the plates. It doesn't look like it would have tension applied by crimping on that type, but anything is possible. Let us see the center shaft when you get it out. It could just be a sticky gear on the turn knob too.
I was hoping I would not have to take the shaft off but if i must, which is the best way to take it off. I did hold the small gear and turn the big wheel which did move but it was tight 1606572184708413467639.jpg

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Paul,
Was this hard to turn before you Stripped, cleaned and oiled??
I believe the tension spring on the large wheel is the problem. As the arbor has to turn in the large wheel in order to set the time, I believe you have too much tension so the large wheel and subsequently it is too tight. You need to back off the center brass collar a bit to loosen the large wheel. I think I would try grasping the brass collar with a pair of needle nose pliers and turn the arbor back and forth to see if that will back it off a bit.
You may be able accomplish this without taking the center shaft off but, if you do decide to take the center shaft off, I use 2 paint can lid removal tools and slid them between the plate and the small wheel and ply up. The wheel is held on by a friction fit and will come off.

Hope this helps,
Royce

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
Thanks Royce yes it was hard to turn before i stripped it, have been looking at that part of the large wheel when shutterbug mentioned about the tension but didn't want to force anything in case i damaged something, will have a closer look and see if i can move it thanks for your advice

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you brace the plates, you might be able to just tap the arbor to drive the pinion gear off. Use a piece of wood between the hammer and the end of the arbor so it doesn't get mashed. Getting it back on will be easier. A hollow punch would be handy for that. Or you can make something with some scrap metal and a drill bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ynolems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff