On communication with one another

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Apr 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    My latest post on the Message Board has about 72 hits. Yesterday, I received a PM from one of my constant readers on this venue: his post was a complaint in that I have many members who view my postings, but in the 72 hits there was not one reply from these readers. As yet, I have not replied to this gentleman who complained about the lack of replies to my postings.

Some of the things I post will draw many replies, other postings, zero; it can depend on what I'm writing, sometimes it can strike a chord that elicits a reply, other times, not. Do not worry, what I may put down on paper keeps my aged mind from falling in the trap that older people often drift into…they may lose their zest for life or just be plumb tuckered out and become couch potatoes. However, I do not think that is the case here. Most of our members are still active and interested in what goes on in the part world they live in. Others may just want to read what is in the written word and do not attempt to reply.

I do notice some of the names below the NAWCC Message Board written articles, the members who have opened that piece and do not care to reply. Some are our Moderators - others are just plain members like me; who may think we're just a grain of sand on the beach of this wide world of horology.

Whatever the case may be, I find no fault with non-repliers, however, when I post something in all innocence that may cross our boundry line…I'm sure to receive a PM from one of our Moderators or our from our chief Administrator…it could be a standard form that was written to the perpetrator of the post warning him the posting was against NAWCC policy. That's fine with me; I fault it only for its tone, I think a softer choice of words could and would be in order.

Publicly, on the NAWCC Message Board, I did see a posting by our Administrator that I have had seven [7] or more times where these posts were removed by our Moderators because of using thoughts not in standing with our NAWCC policy. Asking for copies of those removed postings, they have not been forthcoming and may never be presented to me to satisfy my curiosity.

In October, it will be six years since the advent of this Forum on this Message Board, since that early beginning - I have made 2133 postings. I doubt more than a few consisted of only one or two lines that were in reply to something I had posted, the rest of the posts may have been up to a full page of text. In my effort to get our readers to respond, my posts could have varied from A to Z. In retrospect, when I think of it…having only seven or eight postings removed from this total of 2133 postings because of some poor thought or misuse of our NAWCC rules, I like to think what I have created on this NAWCC Message Board has not been in vain and only adds to its worth in communication with one another.

2. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    I have been a member of this forum for a relatively little time and I have no idea whether I have resaponded to one or more of your posts. I know that whenever I have posed a question, at least one repy has been forthcoming and the information provided has been to my benefit. Likewise where I have responded to a request for help, I have tried my best to make my contribution useful and positive.

When I first joined, I read the rules and regulations concerning what posts are acceptable, and the dire warnings for failing to remain within the prescribed bounds.

Whilst I would always strive to conform, I accept that at some point in time I may inadvertently transgress. Isn't that how generally upstanding members of the real world community live their lives? Whenever I go out in my car I cannot put hand on heart and say I have never broken the speed limit by a couple of miles per hour, or that during my stroll in the local park that I have never strayed onto that patch of grass bearing a sign forbidding footfall.

My philosophy is not to conform to rules for the sake of doing so but to bear in mind the possible consequences of my failure to adhere strictly to the dictats formulated by those whose raison d'etre is to formulate rules. If my unintentional transgression cannot adversely impinge upon innocent third parties then my conscience is clear and my sleep peaceful. Others may judge, point fingers, attribute blame and fling insults but that is their right and I bear no grievance.

The real world also consists of doers, watchers, judges, advocates, accusers, guilty and guiltless and this is how I view forums such as this. They are reflections of the world around us.

As a member of number of such forums representing diverse interests which I share, I have been subjected to criticism, sanction and outright abuse, but I suffer no ill from the comments or lack of response from those who know me only from my typed words. The diversity of knowledge, attitude and styles are what keep me returning for more. This forum is in my opinion supported by the most learned, civil and responsive members in the horological sphere and I am grateful to those who give their time and effort to its maintenance.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dan,

Don't despair. You have asked this question many times and I don't think there really is an answer.

For example in the "clock" forum one of our UK members started a threading asking simply "what are people listening to when they are working at the bench". There are 544 views, 61 by members, and only 12 replies.

Now that is a pretty innocent thread. I checked the rules and didn't think it violated any. It doesn't take a lot of brain power or much typing to respond, but still only 12 replies.

My main forum is "clock repair" and I haven't been all that active lately due to an other project, but it seems to me that there has been a reduction of participation in that forum and especially by a number of folks that used to be quite prolific and helpful.

Keep posting your thoughts, I don't think the number of replies means much one way or the other.

David

4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Snapper:

Your choice of the English language puts me to shame with my less than public grade school education.

Having stories to tell even from the age of three years old...[now 100+] I do not have the words to properly bring the stories to fruition. Wish I had your command of language.

5. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thank you sir for your kind words. I hope that I will still be tapping away at my keyboard (and repairing clocks) at 100+.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those of us who run businesses get pretty busy this time of year. That affects how much time is available for the MB. Also, quite often the probable problem has already been identified, and counsel given. In those cases, there's little need to repeat things :)

7. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Shutterbug for sure I wasn't referring to you, or your contribution. It is just that there are some "familiar faces" that I haven't seen on the forum recently. And yes there could be and can be many reasons.

David

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

I'm gonna go out on a limb, here and guess that a fair percentage of the denizens of these halls are wired more for listening than talking. We can only learn by listening and (while I'm sure there are a few social butterflies lurking about) speaking only when we feel we have something worthwhile to say. "Worthwhile" can encompass a lot of real estate and can have a different judgement of 'worth' associated with it by different people and even by the speaker at a different time. Diagnosing and fixing clocks can be a challenging task requiring a lot of focus. I for one, can't do too many things, well, if I try and do them at the same time. My wife can. She can be doing data entry for her employer while simultaneously talking on the phone with a girlfriend, watching television and keeping us all in line. But, she'll never have the patience to fix a clock. Many of us read your posts and (I know this has been said MANY times, previously) we just don't have either a ready reply or, possibly, the ambition to post it at the time.
    This is not a reflection on you or your efforts to engage us. It is simply a factor of the human condition.

9. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, please check your email. I sent my message to you on Friday April 8 regarding the matter together with an attached complete listing of your posts and threads that have been removed. It was addressed to the email you used for Message Board registration, email was needed since we can't send attachments by PM. It will be appreciated if you will please respond privately.

10. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    John:

Replying to your post, I never received what was sent.

I doubt it was deleted by me before reading.

Thanks you,

Dan