Omega Private Label - Canadian Market?

durnik56

NAWCC Member
Aug 3, 2009
Country
Region
I recently acquired a private label pocket watch that I believe is an Omega 21j 16s movement (serial number 2587664) for the British American Watch Company. The dial has a private label of J. E. Nettleton, Jeweller & Optician, Penetang, Ont. The case W.C.CO. (serial number 5113635) and is gold filled Warranted 25 Years.

Doing a little research, J.E. Nettleton opened his first jewelry store in Penetaguishene (Penetang for short), Ontario in the late 1800's. The family earned the reputation as watch inspectors for drivers, engineers and conductors of the major railway companies of the time, Canadian National, Canadian Pacific, the Grand Trunk Railway as well as New York Central Railways. Omega was known to export movements to the Canadian market but I'm not finding much information on the British American Watch Co. Looking at the serial number and referencing the Omega Production Date chart, it would put the manufacture date at 1905 which would correspond with the dates for J.E. Nettleton's shop, so that might be right. The movement is pendant set but the watch case is for a lever set movement, so I assume Mr. Littleton acquired the movement and cased it. I'm not sure who the case manufacturer is - W.C.CO. doesn't appear listed but I might be missing something. Any addition information or verification would be appreciated. I added photos to review.

Omega Private Label 2587664 Movement.jpg

Omega Private Label 2587664 Dial.jpg

Omega Private Label 2587664 Case 2.jpg

Omega Private Label 2587664 Case 1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Lac
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit