Omega mystery

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Richard Watkins, May 3, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

I picked up this Omega watch a few days ago.

It has sweep seconds, sub-seconds at II and a 24-hour dial at IX. The dial lettering is "OMEGA", "SWITZERLAND", "MAKE 1182"

The case is about 2 inches (50 mm) diameter.

The lady on the back is an enamel plaque.

The case is brass (gilt?)

I don't have any good books on Omega and so I know nothing about this watch.

I can remove the bezel, which reveals nothing, except the inside of the bezel is gilt.

But how to I get at the movement? There is no way to take the back off; there is a fine line around it, but nowhere to lift it, and I am pretty sure it doesn't crew off. And I do not want to try prying off the enamel plaque unless I am certain that is the way to go.

Does anyone have a similar watch and information on it?

Attached Files:

2. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard - Just a quess but I would focus on a screwed on/off back plate under the charming young lady. Mike

3. escarolo

escarolo Registered User

Dec 10, 2007
    hello Richard,
    It is only a repro chinese fake .There is a lot of them selling in ebay .
    Regards

a similar oneClick Here

4. Richard Watkins

First, I doubt that it is a fake. But I cannot confirm that until I get to see the movement. Either way the problem remains.

There is a line around the back suggesting the back is a separate piece from the case body. But nothing happens when reasonable pressure is applied.

5. Richard Watkins

I have had another look and I suspect the way into it is by taking off the dial. I can run a fine knife blade under it and so the dial has no feet and is not clipped on around the rim. So presumably it is held by some sort of clip in the middle:???:?

Again I don't want to force it in case I am wrong.

6. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I too think it is a Chinese fake. It certainly looks like the crude replicas antiques the Chinese often sell on eBay.

If this watch were genuine, it would appear to be a chronograph. The sweep second hand and subseconds dial (at 3) would be consistent with that. The other subdial (at 9) would be a minutes register. What is odd about that subdial is that only goes up to 24. I have only seen minutes registers in 30 or 60 minute versions. In addition, the crown does not look like it operates the chronograph, such as by means of a button on top the crown, or otherwise. I see no other chronograph buttons.

I'll therefore go with the Chinese fake diagnosis, until proven wrong.

7. Richard Watkins

I am happy to concede that it is a fake, but that isn't the point.

How do I open the case and get at the movement?

As an aside, I think "fake" is sometimes a too detrimental word. Before the quartz crisis the vast majority of Swiss watches were mediocre to very poor. And the majority of American watches were also mediocre. They were manufactured to satisfy a need, which they filled very well. These days all Swiss watches are made to stroke the egos of their owners.

In fact the few modern "fakes" I have seen are perfectly good watches when viewed in the light of price and quality. That they have erroneous names like Rolex and Omega on them is a pity - they should simply be sold as modern mechanical watches for the 6 billion of us who can't afford to spend the inflated prices asked for by Swiss makers.

8. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

9. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard, I hope you discover how to open your watch. I am sorry that I can't help.

But I hope you will allow me to take issue with the rest of your post. "Fake" is not a detrimental word. It is no more nor less than a statement of fact: that which is not what it purports to be. It may be a beautifully executed painting or a superbly engineered watch, but if it falsely claims to be a Velasquez or a Tompion then, regardless of quality, it is a fake.

I think few on here would agree with you that the vast majority of Swiss watches pre-quartz and the majority of American watches were mediocre.

Jerry

10. escarolo

escarolo Registered User

Dec 10, 2007
    You are rigth Richard .Today I'll threw away every swiss pocket watch I own. I only will collect "misterious" chineses.
    What about a new Nawcc chapter on them?
    I vote for you as President.
    I hope you has humour sense .As the magnificient fake defender you need it.
    Regards

11. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

gosh! if anyone has any mediocre swiss watches from the 40's- 70's they are binning, maybe you could take pity on a girl who diesnt know any better and send them my way!
    Ill even trade seagull rolexes..
    *EMMA*

12. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Mediocre (more or less) notwithstanding, if it is Chinese-made and is marked "Omega - Switzerland Make", it's a fake.