Omega Electronic Seamaster Circa?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Mike Kearney, Mar 9, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

2. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Yes, Rob Berkavicius' Accutron web page is a real treasure for anyone looking for more information on tuning fork watches. He's certainly done collectors a great service.

Regards,
    Mike

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob,

Omega did one tuning fork watch that was very rare. I believe the model was called UNISONIC, and it differed from other electro-mechanical watches in that there were no "gears" in them. There were wheels, yes, but they had no teeth as I understand it. These gears had magnets around the perimeter, and as one wheel turned, alternating polarity of its magnets caused the next gear to turn in a constant magnetic relationship. Now THAT one was a rare bird! I understand that Omega made about 600 of them! I sold one (the ONLY one I've ever seen I might add) at a mart a few years back for $ 75.00, then went to a seminar on Accutrons which was offered at that regional, to find out how RARE the watch (I used to own) really was! Some people would have no luck at all unless they had BAD luck! The F300 movement was by ESA I believe, and, no, it wasn't rare. It came along after the Accutron, but because of its similarity to Accutron in principle, they were marked "liscenced by Bulova", or words to that effect. They were an improvement on the Accutron because the tuning fork was counter-poised which reduced or eliminated positional error.

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------

4. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steve & Others,

Sorry about calling the Megasonic, Unisonic. I knew it was scarce. That certainly is an interesting site, Steve. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------

5. Yes, a nice site on Accutrons, thanks for the link.

I have one of these tuning fork models in a Longines with bold dial, marked R.R with a Canadian style dial and a zero, instead of 12, for the "straight up" hour marker. One of the few wrist watches in my collection......

6. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Larry,

If it is a 24-hour dial, that dial is called a "CN" (Canadian National Railway) dial in Canada. The ZERO replaces the 24! That likely means midnight would be 00:00 hours rather than 24:00 hours I would think. We see the odd one, but the 24-hour dial predominates. Strangely enough, I see them on wrist watches most often, and pocket watches very rarely, and I've often wondered why!

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Doug Sinclair (edited 03-10-2001).]

7. Here's a pic of the longines:

Longines