$ Omega crystal removal/replacement advice

PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
West Chester, PA
Country
I have two cases for an Omega 198.002 [I think they call it "THE CONE"] with terribly scratched crystals.

I was going to attempt to remove and replace the crystal with a imitation part as Omega crystals seem impossible to find

Wondering what tools are required to R/R the glass and and hints you might provide

Thanks in advance

Steve

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
These crystals push through with the input of air pressure through the pipe after you pull the male female stem apart and remove the crown. Otherwise, push the inner stem part back into the winding position and using the correct press dies, push the whole case back, movement dial and glass out through the front. I'd need pictures to be sure. Some of these were mounted on a case ring attached to the band.

Last edited:

PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
West Chester, PA
Country
These crystals push through with the input of air pressure through the pipe after you pull the male female stem apart and remove the crown. Otherwise, push the inner stem part back into the winding position and using the correct press dies, push the whole case back, movement dial and glass out through the front. I'd need pictures to be sure. Some of these were mounted on a case ring attached to the band.

I think you are confusing the cone watch with the dynamic

The cone has a 1 piece stem and a screw off back

The air pressure process you describe is one I know for dynamic not cone

Steve

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
OK. Then screw the back off remove the stem then push the crystal out from the inside. It works for the dynamic to push the whole movement through. Otherwise take the movement out and put a bit of sticky tape across the glass and using a press push it out from the back.

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
I just finished up a 198.0004 for a customer. Like yours, the crystal is just flat mineral glass. I replaced it with a sapphire equivalent. These are easy to source, you don't need Omega branded glass. Just press it out and measure the thickness and diameter.

(However I have had good luck getting genuine Omega crystals from my parts house, they're just insanely expensive. Some of the 198.xxx cases definitely need the particular crystal, because they have special tension rings.)

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANTHONY LEWIS
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool