Omega 344 Part Identification

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
whatdoesyourwatchsay.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I'm hoping to get the correct name for this Omega caliber 344 part. It's part of the bumper autowind and I want to call it a ratchet but I'm not sure that's what it is. It also appears to be missing a spring from the underside. Can I buy the spring or would I need to source a complete new part?

DSCN4910.JPG DSCN4912.JPG

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Without the wheel, it is called "Pawl-bearing Yoke with stud and spring" and has omega number 330-1407

I don't know about the spring.......

Edit: Looked around with Google and it looks like a simple spring one could make by shaping a piece of raw spring material. My only concern is how it is attached. I can't realy tell from the pictures I found.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
Thank you for the ID and part number Skutt50, very much appreciate it.

The spring end goes on the post on the underside and there's a groove in the click that the other end sits inside.

Unfortunately I don't have any wire thin enough to do the job.

Here's a couple of pictures showing the spring.

IMG_0823.jpg IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Al J

Jul 21, 2009
Canada
Country
Region
All these parts are long discontinued. The last watch I had in that needed these parts, I had to cannibalize my own bumper for them...

Donor watch is likely the best bet.

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
Thanks for those pics Chris, very helpful. Clearly at one point the spring was available on it's own.

Thanks for your reply, Al. I was worried that would be the case but tried to stay optimistic. I'll give Perrin's a call on Monday but I'm sure it will be emotionally futile.

There's always ebay but with the post the way it is right now it will be a while before I get the part.

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
I've got one of those somewhere. Trying to think. Sure it is still in the packet. Probably got a couple of old ones but they were probably worn out or I wouldn't have got them in bits.
The funny thing is I had a partial 344 movement but gave it to a friend a long while ago so he could finish his uncle's watch for his anniversary. I emailed him this morning but he has since passed on the reminder of the movement to another collector.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Unfortunately I don't have any wire thin enough to do the job.
I found a couple of old assortments with a number of different raw spring material (each some 5cm long) available on a local auction site. They come in very handy at times! Since you don't have this you could look for another spring from a spare part movement and re-shape. At least you would get it running again and can replace the spring at a later date, should you find the proper piece.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Well there you go. I have a packet full and unopened of the spring in question.

.. and I really haven't been able to look hard because I am neck deep in boxes and boxes of all this stuff at the moment. Don't even know who Martha is or whether she is even related to Arthur.

P6076679.JPG

I am sure given time to look, I'll also find one or three of the transmission wheels.

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
Well there you go. I have a packet full and unopened of the spring in question.

.. and I really haven't been able to look hard because I am neck deep in boxes and boxes of all this stuff at the moment. Don't even know who Martha is or whether she is even related to Arthur.

View attachment 593867

I am sure given time to look, I'll also find one or three of the transmission wheels.
I haven't counted them. I had a quick look found one box that might have Omega bits and there it was. There could be ten or a dozen of them in that packet.

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
Would a piece of stout hairspring work?
The hole in the post that holds the spring is narrow so I think a length of hairspring would work and still have room for a taper pin. I don't have a spring I can sacrifice to try it though.

I haven't counted them. I had a quick look found one box that might have Omega bits and there it was. There could be ten or a dozen of them in that packet.
Do the springs come with taper pins or just the springs alone?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
The hole in the post that holds the spring is narrow so I think a length of hairspring would work and still have room for a taper pin. I don't have a spring I can sacrifice to try it though.

Do the springs come with taper pins or just the springs alone?
The springs in the packet are all pinned to a stud.

View attachment 594132

P6086682.JPG

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member