Omega 18 ligne vs. 19 ligne -- staff information.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Does anyone out there know if an early 18 ligne Omega might share a staff with the 19 ligne? I have a pre-1900 model that has a bent balance pivot and it may well snap when someone tries to straighten it. The length measures 5.93mm, but may be 5.95mm with a straight pivot. Any help is appreciated.

Note: eri231 posted a page from an Omega book that showed the 19 ligne movement, as well as others. If he has a similar page that shows an 18 ligne, I'd really appreciate seeing it. Maybe there's no difference aside from the plate sizes? My watch movement is pictured. Many thanks, and Happy New Year, all. attachment.jpg

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
hello
The length measures 5.93mm, but may be 5.95mm with a straight pivot. Any help is appreciated.
maybe this one?
Immagine.jpg
regards enrico

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I've got to take some other measurements, but I suspect that it is the right part. I am in your debt, Enrico. Thank you very much. It seems that you possess rare information and knowledge of these watches. Thank you for sharing the book pages. The NAWCC MB is lucky to have you as a participant. Thanks again. Have a great 2014.

Enrico, or anyone else, do you happen to have any comments regarding the scarcity of the 18L? The one in my possession is a private-label for a New York jeweler, known for having sold high-grade timepieces.

Last edited:

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I'm now wondering if my Omega is a 40.6? This would stand to reason, as the dial diameter in millimeters is right there. The plate configuration matches, however, the setting mechanism is all 19NN. Also, in checking the Bestfit catalog system's numbers, their staff #599 seems like it offers measurements could possibly be worked with. They also have a designation of "D62" as the caliber/model, where the balancestaffs.com listing shows a "062". Coincidence? Finding the right antique watch parts can be quite challenging, can't it?
My main objective is to be sure that I can find the correct staff for the watch before I try to straighten the bent pivot. I'm trying to avoid paying a real watchmaker to do it for me, as that would cut into the benefit of my bargain on the watch. At the same time, I don't want to risk messing up what might be a rather rare movement. As usual, it's a tough call for me.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Update: I got lucky and the pivot straightened out pretty nicely with the hot tweezer treatment. I kept trying and suddenly, to my surprise, it became nearly perfectly straight. However this was not before burning my thumb on the hot tweezers. For the subsequent attempts, I held pithwood buttons on both sides, making a tweezer sandwich. Much better. It's running like a champ now. This good because the Omega staff (4169) it may have been, wasn't it. The tolerances are very tight on this watch. It was even a bear to get the upper plate to set on the pivots. I had to use the screws to tighten it down while I maneuvered everything in place. That was nerve-wracking. Then there was the trying to find a suitable mainspring, which I eventually did. All's well that ends well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny_foskey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre