Mechanical WW Omega 1128

aalinaman

Oct 8, 2012
I have an Omega 1128 GMT. The hour wheel is failing. I have read that this is common but I can not source the part. I am told that it has been discontinued. Does anyone know of a way to fix the old wheel, or of a suitable replacement.

Al J

Jul 21, 2009
Canada
Country
Region
Reference:
So you may find it easier to locate an ETA 2892 - A2 hour wheel.
No - that won't work. The hour wheel on an 1128 is completely different from the one on a 2892 A2.

The 1128 is a GMT movement and the hour hand can be advanced in one hour increments. This is done via the hour wheel, which is actually a double wheel that has a clicking mechanism inside to provide the one hour jumps. Over time this wears out, and the hour hand fails to advance after a time, even when you are using the normal hand setting position, like this:

[video]https://youtu.be/R2velHmYisI[/video]

I replace the hour wheel at every service because of this, since sometimes there is no warning that the wheel is about to fail.

User aalinamin - the hour wheel is not discontinued, however since Omega stopped supplying parts to third party resellers, many would be out of stock by now I suspect. There is no way to repair the wheel, so replacement is the only solution. You mentioned in the parts wanted thread that you need one that is 2.8 mm tall - there are several different heights and none are listed as 2.8, so the closest one is 2.74 mm, and that is part number 7221128310462. If you want me to confirm that is the correct wheel, let me know the specific model of the watch you are working on, and I can double check it on the Omega Extranet. If you don't know the model, I can look it up by the serial number also.

Cheers, Al

aalinaman

Oct 8, 2012
Al, that is the one. 2.74mm part number 7221128310462. Is there any way for me to source this part? Thank you. Your time and knowledge are greatly appreciated and respected. aalinaman.

Al J

Jul 21, 2009
Canada
Country
Region
Al, that is the one. 2.74mm part number 7221128310462. Is there any way for me to source this part? Thank you. Your time and knowledge are greatly appreciated and respected. aalinaman.
No idea where you are located or where you have looked. With the part number you should be able to search various watch material suppliers, eBay, etc. to find one. There's no shortcut, so you will have to do the legwork to find one.

Cheers, Al

chealwatch

New User
Apr 9, 2020
Country
To correct this hour wheel problem I oiled the hour wheel and eased the tension of the date ring click. The date is a bit sloppy but the hour wheel works correctly.

Al J

Jul 21, 2009
Canada
Country
Region
To correct this hour wheel problem I oiled the hour wheel and eased the tension of the date ring click. The date is a bit sloppy but the hour wheel works correctly.
Unfortunately this will likely only be a temporary solution. This wheel will fail eventually...

If you hold one part of the wheel and turn the other, you can tell when the clicks are worn to the point they are gone. The only real solution is to change the wheel.

I change them at every service no matter if they are problematic or not. It only took one instance of a watch that had a wheel that worked fine at the time of service, to fail a few months down the road for me to decide they will get changed every time I service one of these.

Cheers, Al

chealwatch

New User
Apr 9, 2020
Country
This only goes to prove that modern watch manufacturers are producing products that will not last for long without replacement parts that they will not supply.

Al J

Jul 21, 2009
Canada
Country
Region
This only goes to prove that modern watch manufacturers are producing products that will not last for long without replacement parts that they will not supply.
That's one way to look at it I suppose. In every watch I've ever had in my shop with this problem, it has gone well past any recommended service interval. So part of the problem is that watch owners don't follow service recommendations - but as watchmakers we all know this.

Omega still supplies parts to independent watchmakers. What they no longer do is sell parts to third parties, who in turn resell them to watchmakers. They cut out the middle man, so all you need to do is make sure you meet their criteria, and apply for an account. Getting an account is not difficult and Omega as a brand are generally very good to deal with.

Cheers, Al

chealwatch

New User
Apr 9, 2020
Country
The problem for the independent watch repairer is that each major manufacturer require different tooling criteria and it is not cost effective to comply to each one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manus2eire
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-