Ollie Baker winder and let downs...

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
Lower Mainland, B.C., Canada
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
I'm a total newcomer (my broken record intro), and just got my shipment of "starter" tools from TimeSavers. I'm a bit unclear/confused by the Ollie Baker style spring winder (TS#18792) and wonder whether I bought the right let down set (TS# 10066) to use with it.

Here's my confusion: the letdown tool chucks are designed to seat into a hexagonal socket in their handle. The Ollie Baker winder has what seems to be a perfect smooth "socket". Although the letdown tool chucks "fit" in that socket, they sort of just rattle around in there: nothing is gripping them.

To illustrate, I've attached a picture of the Ollie Baker socket I'm referring to (on the handle end) and of a couple of the chucks and the letdown tool handle I got.

Is this the wrong kind of letdown chuck? How does the winder hold the chucks in general (I.e.: I can't see how a perfectly smooth inner barrel would "grip" anything)?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Kelly, the letdown tool is a separate tool from the springwinder, with a totally different function. It's job is to let down the mainsprings into retainers (I use wire, twisted together), such as part #12397. These are for loop end springs. Barrelled springs are retained by the barrel, but still need to be let down.
This operation needs to be properly done before separating the movement plates.

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
Kelly, the letdown tool is a separate tool from the springwinder, with a totally different function.
That's what I thought, based on my limited reading. But the winder instructions (all three pages, photocopied...) say:

"You must purchase a set of clock let down keys to go along with the spring winder"
And later...
"Place let down key in the racket end spring winder"
The accompanying line drawings show the let down key being inserted into (what is on mine, at least) the smooth "socket" on the handle end of the winder. To further confuse, the line drawing seems to illustrate the same hexagonal barrel that my letdown keys have. The impression I get is that the Ollie uses the let down key to drive the winding arbor which, with the Ollie, is removed from the clock and used to perform the winding operation.

P.S.: to be clear, I am not yet using this tool, and won't be for a while. But I want to understand it before I get to the stage where my books/DVDs will say something like "using your winder, re-wind the spring..." :)

Last edited:

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
Ollie Baker style spring winder and letdown installed. Mine was purchased from Merritt's several years ago.
Fantastic, Wayne: your picture shows exactly what mine is missing: the hexagonal "chuck" in the winder itself. Your let down keys themselves look virtually identical to the ones I bought.

Can you remember- did you purchase/replace the chuck separately? Or is mine "defective" by being smooth?

Wayne C. Anderson

Dec 20, 2001
Kelly,
I just ordered the Ollie Baker Style (Merritts) and a let-down set (10) plus a set of nine mainspring sleeves, got it many years ago.....in the box it contained a card "ACCU Machine and Tool Company", Phone (931) 857-3612...you might give them a call and ask them if there has been any changes in the tool.

Attachments

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
Kelly,
...in the box it contained a card "ACCU Machine and Tool Company", Phone (931) 857-3612
Thanks again, Wayne. Mine is definitely by the same manufacturer- even the phone number is unchanged- yet yours obviously has a hexagonal socket, not a perfectly smooth barrel like mine. It almost looks like mine is a manufacturing error: someone forgot to fit the socket in, methinks.

I've contacted TimeSavers (since that's where I bought it), and hopefully they will get back to me with some answers in the next day.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Kelly, I have no experience with the Ollie Baker winder (I use a Webster). But I am surprised if the winder doesn't come with everything you need to use it.
But looking at the catalogue, apparently it doesn't.

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
Kelly, I have no experience with the Ollie Baker winder (I use a Webster). But I am surprised if the winder doesn't come with everything you need to use it.
But looking at the catalogue, apparently it doesn't.
What, horology isn't an absolute science? Different tools work differently, and there are different ways to do the same thing?! It's madness!!

Seriously, though: as a newcomer, these forums are like pure gold. I get smarter every time I ask a dumb question.

Al Schook

Mar 30, 2009
Michigan
Country
Region
I bought one not too long ago and it is supposed to come with the female hex in the tailstock. I think it is around 7/16 inch. The only difficulty I've had with mine is that the smallest sleeve is too big to fit inside some of the midget 400 day clock barrels but I was able to cobble a way around that. Other than that it had 100% of what was needed.
Al

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Kelly

It looks to me like you got a bad piece of hardware. The hex socket in the picture of Wayne Anderson post is what you should have. If its new I would send it back to where you bought it.

T.J. Kloss :cool:

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
Wayne, thanks for the pictures: it really helps shore up my confidence to see how it is supposed to look. I bought a couple of sets of spring "C" clamps as part of my starter tools. I pretty much ordered exactly what is in this post in the "recommended clock repair tools" thread, and hope to spend the next year or twenty figuring out how to use it all.

T.J., thanks for that advice- I actually contacted TimeSavers and pointed them to this thread to explain my problem with the tool. I'm expecting a call back from them tomorrow re: what to do next- since I'm in Canada, I don't want to just ship it back without them being clear what is wrong. Shipping and duty can get ugly on returns.

I'm just now starting to take apart the first of my five "learner" clocks, so when I pick up the tool and it doesn't seem right... well, that pretty much describes *every* tool I pick up :p Thus my double-checking here- I'd feel pretty dumb sending back a perfectly good tool just because I don't know how to work it.

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
Just a conclusion in case someone else with a similar problem comes across this thread in the future.

TimeSavers has confirmed that my winder is "defective", and that the hexagonal "chuck" should have been factory inserted in the winding end. Unfortunately, there is no field repair- I have to send the whole unit back, and wait for them to receive it and send back a replacement. Since I'm in Canada, that means I'll be without the brand new tool I bought for probably four to six weeks, plus I'll be out the extra shipping cost (probably $40 or so) to send it back.

And knowing Canadian customs, I'll probably have to pay duty again on the replacement when it arrives. Sometimes being in the right still turns out wrong :bang:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Kelly, the shipper has to word the custom forms correctly showing that it is a replacement for a defective unit, or you will be dinged for taxes and handling charges all over again. Make them aware before they ship. Make sure they mark it "no charge".

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I believe the source will - certainly should - eat any ancillary costs for return, etc., as it was their error. I believe they will.

Tompion

Aug 9, 2011
Canada
Country
This thread had precisely the info I was looking for. I'm about to purchase an Ollie Baker winder and the letdown tool pictured in this thread. I'm in Canada and will order from Perrins in Toronto; this will reduce shipping costs and eliminate separate customs charges.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Your spring winder is missing the socket, that should have been press fit into the spindle, during manufacture. It is unusable and should be returned.

Ralph

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
Hi all,
When I bought my OB it too was missing the hex insert. I sent it back and it was replaced promptly.(don't remember who the vendor was). I wonder if it's the same one I got? On a positive note I really like the OB .
Just thought I'd add a note.
tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodgoff
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller