Ollie Baker Style Mainspring Winder mystery solved

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Lynsey, Jun 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lynsey

Lynsey Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Female
    Adventurer
    South County, Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good day all, I just received my long awaited spring winder! I didn't know what the "chamfered post" on the slide was for so I started searching this site and You Tube videos. There was nothing about the part in question. I found an old link that was broken on this site, and I wanted to give you all the correct link here....http://www.atmosman.com/pdf/olliebaker.pdf. Thanks to Mike for clearing up the mystery. Now I understand that the "post" is for stabilizing hose clamps when using the winder. Best to all, Lynsey the Doozie King

S_Owsley likes this.
  2. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That should have been explained by whatever instructions came with Lynsey. Where did you buy your Winder?

3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, Lynsey, it actually works well when you have a large barrell with a strong spring that is too hefty to hold with your hand. Just clamp it tight and the post holds it well. I hardly ever have to use it on mine. Usually I am able to hold it tight enough with a gloved hand. These are great winders. You are wise in researching tools before you buy like you did the Lathe.

4. Lynsey

Lynsey Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Female
    Adventurer
    South County, Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Lynsey, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Thanks, Wow. I try my best to tighten the saddle before approaching the mounting block. Bruce, I bought it from Timesavers. I ordered it in April, got it yesterday. Here is a copy of the instructions included with the winder.

Interesting to notice racket....instead of ratchet? They mention a pipe clamp in the second method of the Hole End instructions but fail to include the details on the diagram as indicated. Considering the cost of the machine and the good quality, I expected the same caliber of instructional information.

Attached Files:

5. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lynsey,

I must say that I'm not too impressed with T.S.'s customer service. I'll just leave it there. I also use an Ollie Baker "Style" Winder. It has contained a couple of mainspring mishaps for me and I was glad that it took the beating instead of my hand. I ordered my winder over 10 years ago but i was ordering a lot from Merritts at that time and my instructions were pretty complete. I think that they had a much larger inventory at that time as well. Seems we have fewer options now then we did back then.

Glad you were able to find more complete instructions.

Bruce

6. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :confused:

Lynsey, you just answered a puzzlement I've had since I got mine a couple of years ago. I built a Joe Collins winder ten years ago and really like the fact that it is designed to do barreled mainsprings. The Ollie Baker style's seeming lack of a mechanical method for securing a barrel really baffled me. I also couldn't figure out why the heck there was hose clamp on the biggest sleeve. Sure, I read the instructions, but "set-up is as illustrated" isn't. And yes, I can easily do barrels with a gloved hand, but sometimes you need that third or fourth hand to stabilize something or something.

Now I know. Maybe I'll rewrite the "instruction" sheet that Timesavers sends out so it gives the actual instructions. I could also fix all their grammar and punctuation, just sayin'.

Thanks fer edjacamatin' me!

Glen

7. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are the instructions TimeSavers', or the vendor's?

8. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great, useful post, Lynsey! Thanks. :coolsign:

9. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I posted this one a while ago, I am going to make a couple straps and experiment with this strap method to hold barrels on an ollie and my old Webster.

S_Owsley likes this.
  10. S_Owsley

S_Owsley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Male
    Construction Management
    San Francisco
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 S_Owsley, Jun 27, 2020 at 9:38 PM
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    I got my Ollie Baker Style from Timesavers a couple of days ago. It had one page of instructions. I was a little disappointed at that. Thanks for the information everybody.

11. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I went back through my receipt folder hoping to find my old set of instructions. Didn't find them but I'm pretty sure that there were two sheets with diagrams for both the Loop and Hole End Spring set-ups. I ordered my winder way back in Feb of 2010 from R&M Imports. I did quite a bit of business with them until they started falling apart. They went downhill pretty fast too.

12. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When they mysteriously closed down some years back I asked the county sheriff over there (it's close to Dayton) to check on the place,and they did. The deputy said that he was familiar with the situation, and that nothing urgent was necessary. I've since talked with Mr R&M's friends: it turns out that he'd somehow become addicted to drugs of some sort. It's very sad. Same thing darn near happened to me.

13. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, not to get into specifics but there still is no source for newly manufactured Herschede replacement parts that I'm aware of. As I understood it, Moore Clocks was supposed to pick up the Herschede ball and run with it but nothing so far. The "R" in R&M, Randy Thatcher, was a good business man and seemed to have an affinity towards Horology. He passed away some time ago. I'm guessing he was the glue holding everything together.

14. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. I knew approximately nothing about the situation. I, at least, am quite dependent on these small businesses. It's not at all clear where I'd get mainsprings, bushings, and some of the weirder tools (e.g., the aforementioned mainspring winder) without them and their arcane supply chains.

I'm glad Moore Clocks grants free shipping on their $11,000.00 movements.

15. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, it would seem that Timesavers is becoming a monopoly for us. I ordered a new pendulum for a customer's Hermle Tall Case Movement from them recently. I also ordered replacement cables for the movement. The pendulum came in its own box. They shipped it in this huge box crammed full of newspaper. Great! It costs more, but I'm all for safe, cross-country shipping and the pendulum looks nice but it's really not that sturdy. HOWEVER, they just tossed a zip-lock bag with the cables in with all the wadded-up newspaper. I searched, and I searched...I was about to contact them to complain about my incomplete order when the little packet fell to the floor. I mean, they could have just tossed the zip-lock inside the pendulum box or used a few inches of packing tape to attach it to the outside of said box, but no...some yahoo just tossed it in with the newspaper.

I'm not surprised to hear that they are sending out incomplete instructions for their Ollie Baker Winders. :thumbsdown:

:offtopic:
    :eek:

I couldn't find it. You got a link? Does it have all diamond bushings or something? 24 carat gold plating perhaps? Wow!
    I sent a couple of e-mails a while back asking about their plans for Herschede parts. I got absolutely no response what-so-ever. Not a good sign in my book. Is professional, or even common courtesy asking too much? Maybe it's just a dying business and folks aren't getting paid a living wage. I've had some very nasty business dealings with these folks. I don't think it's me. I haven't experienced the problem with other businesses.

As far as Hershede goes, I guess one has to look for salvaged parts, machine them or farm the task out. Parts, like the clocks, are no longer being produced. That's very worrisome to me as I like to collect and work with Herschede clocks. They can be very valuable.

Glad you didn't go all Breaking Bad on us there Mark. Seems big pharma is more like a crime cabal who have gone "legit". We don't hear much about the "opioid epidemic" anymore but I still see ads for Narcan so I have to assume that it's still a problem for our society. If corporations are considered to be people, they must be some of the most sociopathic people in recent history. It will be interesting to see just how "they" roll out a global vaccine for Covid-19. $$$

Rant over....

16. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a URL for that movement. Maybe the price isn't in US dollars: Brand New Hermle 1171-890 Clock Movement "Ships Free"

Opioids are unfortunately the only alternative many people have for pain management. I was lucky enough to have the underlying condition heal up, but if it hadn't I'd still be on a maintenance dose of one of the opioids. I have f few friends who did not have that choice.

As for addiction and corporations, my sense is that Big Pharma, despite its moral shortcomings, really did their best at the beginning. When it became clear that the drugs were far more addictive and potentially harmful than Purdue Pharma had thought, they made the very bad mistake of trying to profit and cover up their own findings.

It is very easy to get hooked on almost anything. Here is what I wrote in my newspaper column on the subject. usatoday.com may have picked it up, but I haven't checked. ('Norco' is one of the more popular opioid medications, and 'monkey on my back' was a euphemism for narcotics addiction in the US in the 1950's.)

---------

Yet another reason Natalie should have discarded me.

April 4, 2020

Hello. My name is Mark Kinsler and with me tonight, clinging to my back, is Norco the Monkey.

If any of you have questions—perhaps as to why I am exhibiting flu-like symptoms during this world-wide microbiology seminar—Mr Norco here will be glad to discuss opioids and their side effects.

Six months ago Sheridan Avenue, a firmly if imperfectly surfaced street in Lancaster, Ohio, came up to meet me as I completed a short flight over the handlebars of a motorized bicycle. Casualties included the bike, a collarbone, several nerves, and a heretofore trouble-free second cervical vertebra.

Repairs required four days of hospital treatment and a 3” odontoid bolt resembling a deck screw. Everything hurt, and while opioids proved effective in pain control it was understood by everyone that these are notoriously difficult to discontinue.

Sure enough, to my horror the kind surgeon told us last month that I was indeed an addict, but in the physical rather than the vastly-worse psychological sense. Still, if I’m late with my pills it doesn’t take long for my outlook on life to sour and, if further delayed, for my left arm to develop an excruciating toothache-like pain that I cannot bear for any length of time, like right now.

And so I am tapering off the nice white pills—they look like and contain Tylenol along with a golden drop of happy fluid—over a period of what I hope will be six weeks. Over the first 14 days I took ¾ of a dose, and now we’re several days into the ½ dose era.

I feel punk. Stomach, head, my old friend the left arm, and pain in random areas that should never experience a home-made motorbike crash make themselves known.

However, the degree of punkinosity has not noticeably increased during this, um, journey, so it seems that the process is working. I am grateful, for many others who have suffered injuries will remain addicted until effective treatment is developed. I shall never again presume to judge them.

Mark Kinsler, kinsler33@gmail.com, still clings to life in an old house in Lancaster with the strong and loving support of Natalie, a short person. Aiding in the preservation of sanity are three cats, each of whom is prepared to offer soft fur and healthy skepticism to the inmates.

---------------------------

If you've read this far I'm glad to report that I've been clean and sober for a couple of months and perhaps 20 clocks now. The process took a lot longer than I'd hoped. And the big Methodist church a block from our house hosts eight Narcotics Anonymous groups per week.

17. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, that's got to be a misplaced decimal: 1171-890 Hermle Clock Movement -1-800-381-7458- Clockworks

You're very charitable Mark.

I remember you mentioning your bike accident a while back. I'm glad you've come through the ordeal more or less intact.

We're hijacking Lynsey's thread so I won't go off topic any further than I already have.

Timesavers is what it is. Take it or leave it. I usually look for alternatives.

This list is somewhat dated (for example, it still has R&M Imports listed) but some may find it helpful:
    Clock Suppliers -- General/Supply/Tools/Repair/Service/Etc. •

Regards,

Bruce

18. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    (We have a friend who worked as a research chemist for Purdue Pharma for a number of years and, like many employees, endured some startling changes there. It was apparently a good outfit to start with.)

Thank you for that list, and I'm surprised I hadn't seen it before. The people with the Morgan Pivot Polisher are unreachable. Other listings are fascinating, and I'd recommend the list as required reading for newcomers.

M Kinsler

19. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  20. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It does at least include the hammer rack assembly :)
    It would be very odd to buy the movement and rack, stick it in a nice case, and then face the realization that the clock is only worth a fraction of the cost of the movement.

21. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A trip to our local furniture store a few months ago revealed that grandfather clocks--along with cuckoo clocks, the last new mechanical clocks in existence (dunno about Asian wall clocks) are wildly expensive. Go have a look. On the other hand, the old guys who built thousands of Emperor kit clocks in 1964 are leaving us, and their kids care not a whit for spooky grandfather clocks. Haunted, you know.

But if you look back at that website, you'll also be treated to a movement priced at $22,000, also with free shipping. I don't understand the economics of any of this.

M Kinsler

22. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think those prices are off by a factor of 10.

23. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The last eleven posts have nothing to do with the Ollie Baker-style winder. Please take the other discussion elsewhere.

Glen

LenzkirchFan likes this.
  24. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Glen
    Admittedly the conversation has wandered a bit off topic. However, some of the posts do have something to do with Timesavers as well as other Clock Supply businesses (a comprehensive listing was provided) Since Lynsey (and evidently you) obtained her Ollie Baker Winder with incomplete instructions I think it's good to check for options when ordering supplies, tools and equipment. Friendly conversations often go off on tangents. That doesn't mean that information being shared by others is useless or completely unrelated. The OP doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Hey Lynsey, are you still there? Are we bothering you? If so, please feel free to ask a Moderator to step in since that's their job.
    I think that they all do an excellent job of it too.

Regards,

Bruce

TooManyClocks and Old Rivers like this.
  25. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lynsey provided information that someone else might find useful. I think that was the sole purpose of her thread. After that, it just wandered around as threads often do. Personally, I often find the meandering threads enlightening as well as entertaining ;)

Bruce Alexander likes this.